PDA

View Full Version : How to: Wire your heat tape.

sSNAKESs.com
10-28-02, 03:11 PM
*****ATTENTION - Heat tape is not approved for use in Canada, I will not be held responsible for anything resulting in the use of any information provided in this thread. ****** Read / Use at your own risk!!

Here is one way to wire your heat tape using the flexwatt or mylar clip sets.

First take the metal connector provided and fold it over the end of the end of the heat tape where the metal is and use a pair or plyers to crimp it on really good so the plastic is broken and the metal is touching the metal on both sides.

Strip the plastic off a half inch on the ends of your cord set.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1single-med.jpg

As you can see in this picture, fold the stripped end of the wire over and insert it into the loop on the metal connectors so that it is in there snug and wont just fall out.

Put the plastic covers on over the connectors once everything is done and use electrical tape and tape the end of the plastic so that the wire wont move and fall out and just to be safe :)

When you are finished you should have something that looks like this :)

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1both-med.jpg

I am not resposible for anyone or anything that may happen as a result of following these instructions for connecting your tape.. this is just how i do it and i havent had any problems thus far. So use this guide at your own discretion and always remember to be responsible.

sSNAKESs.com
10-28-02, 03:20 PM
as you can see in the picture the heat tape is also coming out of a hole which is there because the floors of the rack have a recessed area for the heat tape to sit in... you should ALWAYS be leaving room for air to flow between the heat tape and anything that will be sitting above it.. never sandwitch the heat tape between things.. it might work for a while for you but it is highly unsafe.

Bryan Self
10-28-02, 03:48 PM
Looks good. I must say that I started with the plastic protectors. I now think they are a waste of money. The tape does just fine.

Lisa
10-28-02, 04:09 PM
Looks good Jeff, we might have to build a new cage for our burms this week as we are moving and i'm not sure we want to carry the 100G up to the 4th floor.

Tim_Cranwill
10-28-02, 04:12 PM
I ordered the plastic protectors last time and won't do it again. If you use electrical tape properly, you shoul'd be fine.

I also cover the other end of the heat tape where my cut was made where the copper band is exposed. Just in case.

sSNAKESs.com
10-28-02, 04:15 PM
yeah i do that also :P cover the end bit :P hehe i made this thread for a buddy instead of sending him a email i thought i midaswell make a thread, since its gonna take the same ammount of time to type! so sorry if its vague :) on most of my stuff i solder the wire right onto the tape but since most first timers order the clips and everything i thought it would be best to show how your "supposed" to do it :)

Matt_K
10-28-02, 04:51 PM
heh, thanks Jeff.. Very helpful.. I'll let you know how it ends up..

Tim_Cranwill
10-28-02, 04:58 PM
Well, we can all benefit from any hints and tips. I'll have to try soldering right to the tape. I'm assuming you peel back the plastic first. I've used a similar technique where I made a hole in the copper strip, peeled back the plastic and then thread the stripped wire through and soldered that. I have quite a bit of experience with soldering so this method might not be for the novice... ;)

sSNAKESs.com
10-28-02, 05:26 PM
LOL yeah i usually just take the soldering gun tip and melt a line off the plastic as thick as the wire, then just put the wire on the metal and solder over it :) works like a charm.. then i just electrical tape over the soldered mess :D works good, havent had any problems yet :P

lance
10-28-02, 08:51 PM
cool thanks for the tip
now if we can find the damn heat tape here in canada instead of ordering it that will make things much better

Edwin
10-28-02, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the instructions Jeff. By the way, what size heat tape is that in the picture?

Syst3m
10-28-02, 11:30 PM
I cut the mylar off of the flex watt and solder the connection right to it. I feel more confident in my soldering then I do in a crimp connector.

Tim_Cranwill
10-28-02, 11:34 PM
I second that syst3m. I had only one out of 8 crimps in my order that I would have let leave my shop. Not a very good record in my books...

Bryan Self
10-29-02, 12:13 AM
I am not Jeff. But it is 3 or 4 in. 8 wt. ft. tape.

lance
10-29-02, 10:32 AM
oh hey Jeff does that heat tape heat up through the wood or do you have something different inside
sorry to bother you but i've never used it and thinking of ordering some

sSNAKESs.com
10-30-02, 03:05 PM
thats 4" heat tape and yes it will go through the wood.. i use the thicker melamine and i recess the heat tape up into the bottom of my cages a 1/4" and it will heat well over 100 degrees if i let it.. but for racks i recess the heat tape down into the floor of the rack a 1/4" so the heat tape doesnt come in contact with the rubbermaid and there is room for the tape to breathe :P

lance
10-30-02, 06:24 PM
alright thanks jeff

Ian
11-04-02, 09:49 PM
this is a way easier way of attaching the wire to the heattape with wood screws.

Salfalfa
11-05-02, 07:53 PM
So now that I know how to use the heat tape ( thanks to Jeff), where can I find some without having to order from the U.S.? Maybe heat tape will be available at the forthcoming online sSnakeSs store!! ;)

btk
11-07-02, 12:39 AM
ya jeff thanks for the info, but i was wondering about buying it in ontario and where we can? also does it work under wood or would it have to be ontop but under say linoleum? please help really like the idea but no diddly sqwaut! teach us

sSNAKESs.com
11-11-02, 05:19 AM
Sorry guys but heat tape will never be available in canada anytime soon, it has been deemed unsafe by the CSA. But we may carry it in the store but a waiver will have to be signed upon purchasing, stating that ssnakess will not be liable for anything that happens after you purchase it.

btk: yes it works under wood, but never sandwidch it between 2 pieces of wood or like wood and a desk or anything, always make sure it has room to breathe :)

Ian: that method is looking great! im definatly going to try that next time i rig some together.. no solder no hassle :)

snakedude_03
11-27-02, 05:49 PM
for the heat tape.. u know how u said it gets over 100 degrees and stuff.. well.. i got some of the 4 inch 8 watt stuff.. and how could i control the heat? besides getting a rheostat? need help.. new on this heat tape stuff.. =P.. thx

escm
12-15-02, 10:10 PM
dude, the best way is to use a dimmer (which is what a rheostat is...also you can pick up a dimmer at the hardware store for around 7$US) or a thermostat. I recommend a thermostat because you will not have to constantly be making adjustments to compensate for changes in the room temp. (ask for the helix for xmas :p)

Tim_Cranwill
12-15-02, 11:18 PM
There is another thread going on now about this very subject but I can't find it....

As I understand it, there are two types of thermostats each would have a temperature probe that you would place on the hot spot.

Type one, you set to 90 degrees, or what ever, and when the temp gets 2-3 degrees above or below that temp the thermostat turns on or shuts off accordingly. Example: http://www.bigappleherp.com/bigappleherp.filereader?3dfd60b00d042aa82724424d36 1a062b+EN/products/924100

Type two, you set to 90 degrees and the thermostat basically send pulses of electricity to the heat pad keeping it at a steady 90 degrees with very little fluctuation. Example: http://www.bigappleherp.com/bigappleherp.filereader?3dfd60b00d042aa82724424d36 1a062b+EN/products/921100

With a dimmer, you would turn the dial to the spot that gives you a steady 90 degrees but the dimmer is completely unaware of the actual temp in the enclosure and makes no adjustments.

I hope at least some of this info helps you out and is correct;)

crazyboy
11-10-03, 12:54 PM
jeff how do you recess the heat tape.

boasnpythons03
11-10-03, 04:04 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know how to attatch a rheostat to the thing.

if so can youprovide a picture process (not very good with these things)

Thanks

Lisa
11-10-03, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BoasNPythons03
Hey,

Does anyone know how to attatch a rheostat to the thing.

if so can youprovide a picture process (not very good with these things)

Thanks

you can see instructions on how to build a rheostat http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8858

You can either plug the heat tape cord into the rheostat (that's how i would do it) or wire it directly in)

boasnpythons03
11-10-03, 04:38 PM
Thats what i was looking for!!!!

Thanks so much Lisa!

latazyo
03-08-04, 03:36 AM
yes, when putting heat tape on a rack, how do you do it...does it go on top of the shelf or on teh bottom...if it were on teh bottom of the shelf, woudln't it also be on the top of the animals below it...so wouldn't each rubbermaid have a row of tape on top and on bottom of it?

crazyboy
03-08-04, 12:40 PM
latazyo: you can run the heat tape down the back or on the top of the shelves. if you put it on top of the shelves you can router in a groove so that you are not constantly rubbing the rubbermaid over it.

Lisa
03-09-04, 10:24 PM
we've tried both the solder method and the screws with terminals method. we find the later is easiest.

necoris
04-05-04, 07:51 PM
I used the method Ian suggested before I found out about this thread; it does work and I haven't had any problems. The only difference is I used a nut and bolt so I didn't have to screw it into the rack.

boalady
04-22-04, 05:28 PM
I'm building enclosures that are wood on the outside with layers of styrofoam inside. This styrofoam is then sculpted to look like rooks and then covered with several layers of tile adhesive.

I'm building 3 stacking boa cages and was wondering the best way to use heat tape.

If recessing it in the floor is my only option I can just not put styrofoam on the floor, but I don't quite understand how it is recessed.

If some one could help me out on this I'ld appreciate it.
Thanks,
Crystal