PDA

View Full Version : Respitory Infection

D J N
12-03-04, 12:01 AM
I think my Green Anaconda has a upper respitory infection at least I'm fairly sure thats what it is. I was cleaning her cage today and I noticed that just passed her jaws was a little puff so I pushed in on it and yellow good/pus came out her mouth, but I am confused as to how she got it...

I got her 2 weeks ago from an acquaintance she was in blue and since shed and eaten for me. Here is her cage setup, she is in a 27 long aquarium. I have a hide box at one end and a large watter pan at the other. I have two lamps on her one over the hide thats on during the day and a smaller one over the other end that never goes off. The day time temps areas follows under the main light its 37c (98f) and under the other end it's 31c (87f), at night the koolest end drops too 27c (80f) and the other end stays at 31c (87f). the humidity is around 61% right now which is a little low it usually sits at 73%. I mist the cage every 3 days or when ever the substraite dries out! Oh the substraight is bedabest mixed with sphagnum moss to help keep the moisture. Tonight I have switched out the day light to a one that I can keep on all the time to help bring up the night time temp but I donno what else to do.

Well any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to help clear this up!

Scales Zoo
12-03-04, 12:15 AM
Sounds like you are keeping it properly

Yellow goo does not sound good. I've never seen yellow goo come from the mouth of any reptile, and would be very concerned if I did. Normally I'd suggest cranking temps and humidity, till you can get it to a vet - but the temps and humidity you mentioned sound pretty good to me.

So, get it to a vet for a culture and sensitivity swab to be sent away, and treat it accordingly. Usually pseudomonas or like gram negative bacteria is what causes RI's, but I don't know that I've heard about yellow goo.

Got a digital camera?

Ryan

Linds
12-03-04, 09:50 AM
Maybe it is an abcess or other localized infection? Are there any accompanying RI symptoms (mucus in mouth/airway, gaping mouth to breath, clicking/wheezing/popping/hissy breathing, elevated head angle, etc), or is it just the pussy spot to the rear of the jaws?

D J N
12-03-04, 11:07 AM
thats why I was totally surprised because there was no open mouth breathing or hissing or poping sounds. I'm gonna have to call around and find a god herp vet in my area if there are any, so if ya know of any good ones in the London area gimmie a holla.

BoidKeeper
12-03-04, 02:03 PM
Can you go to the vet to get the mouth looked at and have a throat culture done?
Cheers,
Trevor

D J N
12-03-04, 02:40 PM
I am trying to find a reputable vet in my area also I hope I can afford it.

BoidKeeper
12-03-04, 04:05 PM
And if you can't then what, the snake dies?

D J N
12-06-04, 11:57 AM
Possibly last time I tried taking an animal to the et the bill was close to $500 and there is no way I can afford that now! So if I can't afford it I'll try some home remedies or to speak the book What's wrong with my snake has dosage charts to anitbiotics.

BoidKeeper
12-06-04, 01:48 PM
That's the cost of having a pet. A culture and meds will not cost $500. Any vet can do a culture and send it off some where to be checked. Until me my vet had zero experience with herps but she does have a telephone and that has proved to be her best friend when it comes to treating my herps. Any vet is better than no vet.
Trevor

D J N
12-06-04, 04:59 PM
Well there is no point in makeing an appointment now because she passed away before I could get an appointment. I found her laying under her hide box with her mouth open and lots of mucus comming from her mouth. I was very sad needless to say, I was hoping the constant day time temps would help....

Thanks for all your advice I may see how much a necropsy is gonna be just so I know.

SeanRT
12-10-04, 04:18 PM
I dont deal with snakes, I deal with people...But I would get it to the vet asap, to see what the deal is.