PDA

View Full Version : probably a stupid Q about sav's

Kyle Barker
10-26-02, 03:33 AM
I have asked a few people (not very knowlegable people i would gues) how to sex monitors. They gave the exact quote from the beardie manual. Look for pores, larger head etc.. However i cant see any pores at all, and i have compared it to a large group and they all look identical. I thought i saw a post somewhere saying it is almost impossible to sex them. So i am just curious how i would go about sexing mine (if possible), he/she is still small (about 18" i think???).
Thanks for ANY help

Kyle

Dom
10-26-02, 07:12 AM
Its not imposible to sex them but not easy if you have never done it.

One good way is when they go to the washroom or get really scared, the males will avert (although females can avert too a bit and seem like femalesas well..)

The size of the base of the tail is a great pointer, males are much larger than a females.

An other good way is put your sav with a boy, in a few minutes you'll know if its a girl or a boy!

There are many more knowledgable ppl here who will give u better info...

If you post a pic, I garantee u we can tell you what it is.

Dom

Kyle Barker
10-26-02, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I will try to get a pic soon. Also when i pick it up (its not tame at all, i have the scars) it does spray all over and it seems like its about to pop its hemipenes but i dont think they are, they are only about 3/4 of a centimeter long. Again thanks for the help i should have a pic soon.
Kyle

NiagaraReptiles
10-27-02, 07:58 AM
At 18 inches, only an experianced Sav savvy (sorry, couldn't resist) person could wager a guess at the sex. That is still a little small I think for signs to be obvious, but some of the ways mentioned are correct.
Head size/shape, girth at the base of the tail and hemipenal bulges on the underside are what you would need to look at to sex a Sav. Not all monitors can be sexed in this fashion, but it's not a bad rule of thumb.
Gets some pics up and we'll see what we see :)

Kyle Barker
10-29-02, 01:45 PM
Ok thanks. I have no digital camara so it may be a while. May end up taking it into staples and see if they will :)

kyle