PDA

View Full Version : Lighting!

Shane Tesser
10-25-02, 05:50 PM
Okay, this is somewhat a waste of space but i will share anyways with all of you. I know in the past we have had discussions about lighting on here. It took me years to figure out what was the best combination for lighting in a planted tank to promote proper growth.

Well i have discovered something new actually...well not new i kinda forgot all about it. Recently i aquired a plant from Youkai called riccia. When she gave it to me she said to grow it floating for a bit until i tried to attach it to anything as it has been in a bag for quite a bit.

So, ive been growing it for about a month now...and along with it i have been growing more and more of the duck weed on the top of the tank. So whats strange about that....well i use the duck weed to regulate the light on one side of the tank to keep certain plants out of the direct light....but because of the fact that the duck weed outnumbers the riccia about 10000-1 i decided for the last month not to thin it at all.

And what ive found is that the rest of the plants are growing like mad as well....like unusually fast...really really fast and thick!!! The strange thing about this is that i know for a fact that i am under wattage for the majority of the plants in this tank. Yet they are doing incredible....the only thing i can think of is perhaps the green combo of the two together on top of the water is a natural filter so some of the undesirable spectrums of the grow bulbs is filtered natually or just enough that the rest of the usuable band of light is perfect?

Just thought that i would pass that along....maybe some of you will try it and have the same luck....maybe this is just a fluke?

Lizzy
11-04-02, 12:32 PM
That's really cool Shane! The next time you decide to thin your duckweed, hook me up! My goldfish love to eat it!

My plants are growing like mad aswell! I have no more space! I tried pruning my swords like you sugested and I have about 6 new leaves per plant! Soon I won't be able to find my fish in the jungle of plants!

Lizzy

Shane Tesser
11-05-02, 12:03 AM
Right on Lizzy consider the duck weed yours...ill bring you a bag full the next time im by your store ;)

Lizzy
11-07-02, 09:01 PM
Thanks Shane! If I'm not there, put my name on the bag and ask someone to hide it for me. I'm not exactly supposed to accept things like that from customers. I'm a sneeky little devil sometimes though :)!

Lizzy

corr
11-08-02, 05:33 AM
Cool observation, Shane! Thanks for sharing. :)