PDA

View Full Version : BP Breeding ?

jglass38
11-21-04, 09:59 AM
I just want to make sure since this is my first breeding attempt that I do things right!

Starting after this week's meal I am going to reduce their night temperatures and light (7PM to 7AM) and stop feeding. After a month of this I am going to start putting them together for 2 days per week. I will continue this until mid february when I will bring the heating/lighting/feeding back to normal. There is so much info out there and it is all different. Should I feed them after the month of cooling? Should the cooling continue for the entire mating period or just for the month? Thanks in advance!

Jamie

nita
11-21-04, 11:31 AM
I personally don't intentionally stop feeding them, Females will stop all on their own but if they will take food I give it.

mykee
11-22-04, 12:01 PM
Turn OFF their nighttime temps unless the room gets below 70. Also, feed them for as long as they will eat, or until your female ovulates. I would also suggest more than two days per week. Some first time males are shy and will take longer than two days to copulate. I would suggest (if your only breeding one female) to throw the male in for 5 days in a row, out for two, in those two, feed him, her and let them rest. After two days, back in for five until end of March, as it seems you're about 1.5 months behind the average breeder in regards to cooling and introducing. Good luck.

jglass38
11-22-04, 12:24 PM
So I can continue to feed them even though I am shutting off the hot spot? I know I am behind but hopefully itll work out. I didnt get them until late and I wanted to make sure they were settled in and fat enough.

Vengeance
11-22-04, 02:12 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this but isn't one method of cooling to leave a warm spot of 85 but also make sure that the ambiant temp in the cage dips in to low 70's or is it better to turn off all heat and let the entire cage go into the low 70's?

nita
11-22-04, 03:51 PM
If you shut off the heat for 5-6 hrs at night your temps will slowly drop, your warm end will still stay slightly warmer as the heat dissipates. If you have your heat source on a timer then just dial it down a lot for the night and back up to normal in the day time. Mine are in my living room and due to the fact that I have an old house with poor insulation and such around my front door my temps drop without any added help from me.

malaysianbloods
11-22-04, 04:25 PM
I was wondering if while a person continues feeding, should they feed smaller meals or continue with regular meal size.

mykee
11-22-04, 07:56 PM
Normal meals, no need to stress the ball out with altering it's feeding regimen. I typically turn my Helix's from 93 to 72 at 8 p.m. and then back up to 93 at 8 a.m. Heat is the primary environmental cue for a ball python to begin the breeding season.