PDA

View Full Version : My story in the paper

Seanebones
10-24-02, 09:51 PM
Man hopes his snakes can slither past ban
He says pythons not a threat to public safety; appeal hearing set

10/25/2002

By HERB BOOTH / The Dallas Morning News

Duncanville resident Sean McDonnell is hoping the city says it's OK for Mr. Burnz, Sammy and Beth to return home.

Mr. Burnz is a 9-foot, 70-pound Burmese python. Sammy is a lighter-colored Burmese python that's about 7 feet long and weighs about 30 pounds. And Beth – the runt of the group at 4 feet and 6 pounds – is an albino Burmese python.

Mr. McDonnell has a Friday appeal hearing with the city's police chief, fire chief, city manager and animal control officers. The group could allow him to bring the snakes, which are temporarily being kept in Johnson County, back to his home. If Mr. McDonnell is rejected Friday, his appeal will be forwarded to the City Council. If council members reject his appeal, civil courts could be Mr. McDonnell's last alternative.

Mr. McDonnell recently moved to Duncanville from Arlington, which allowed the snakes. But Duncanville has an animal control ordinance that prohibits wild animals. Boas and pythons are specifically named.

So are lions, tigers and bears – oh, my – says Mr. McDonnell.

Jaguars, coyotes, wolves, apes, foxes, elephants and rhinoceroses also are on the banned list.

As is the binturong, an animal from Southeast Asia commonly called a bear cat in this country.

Mr. McDonnell said he understands the city's right to regulate what type of pet and how many pets residents have in Duncanville. However, he believes there ought to be an exception with his snakes. Mr. McDonnell has been interested in the reptiles for about 20 years.

"I've just always had an affinity for them," Mr. McDonnell said. "They remind me a lot of dinosaur days. They're just beautiful animals. I think it would be fair to give someone the opportunity to show them what you keep them in. I don't see any reason why a 4-foot ball python [that's about their maximum size] should be outlawed."

Affinity or not, the city outlaws them.

Duncanville police spokesman Keith Bilbrey said the aim of the ban on large snakes is to ensure public safety.

"Our goal is to protect citizens and make sure these reptiles or wild animals don't get out and hurt someone," Mr. Bilbrey said.

"I think it's fairly common for all the cities to have something like this."

DeSoto and Lancaster have no ordinance banning large snakes. Cedar Hill police Lt. Clark Stephenson said that city has a policy that enables a snake owner to apply for a special use permit.

Mr. Bilbrey also said Duncanville's ordinance is meant to protect public safety employees, such as firefighters in emergency situations who don't know what they may be grabbing in a thick cloud of smoke.

"A python or boa might feel like a leg or something," he said.

Mr. McDonnell said he isn't opposed to registering with the city. He said some North Texas cities require that a sign be posted near the entrance to a home that houses the large reptiles. "I know they have to be safe," he said. "But I've been handling these snakes for 20 years, and the cages I built are secure."

Steve Campbell, president of the Dallas-Fort Worth Herpetological Society, said he would trust Mr. McDonnell because of the Duncanville resident's level of experience.

"But a lot of people get these snakes as hatchlings from shows and don't realize that after three years, they're going to be about 9 feet long," he said. "This is not an uncommon problem. I think an inspection and permitting process is required. You don't want someone keeping a 9-foot snake in a 30-gallon aquarium with a couple of bricks on top."

Bonita Taylor, founder of Reptile's Opportunity for Preservation and Education, said she's been keeping reptiles for about eight years. She plans to address the issue at the Nov. 5 Duncanville council meeting.

"Honestly, most people who are afraid of snakes have some sort of childhood story about them," she said. "What we do is teach people about the snake's body language. You know when a dog is happy because he wags his tail. Snakes don't do that."

Ms. Taylor already has helped Mr. McDonnell – R.O.P.E. has adopted Mr. Burnz, Sammy and Beth until the Duncanville resident exhausts his appeals.

"I just hope I can get them back," Mr. McDonnell said.

E-mail hbooth@dallasnews.com

or call 214-977-7613.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.dallasnews.com/localnews/city/southwest/stories/102502dnsousnakes.6ba03.html

A few of the qoutes are off, like the ball python size and I never said "oh my" but I think it might help. I go before an appeals committe tomorrow and I could use a few letters of support. Please post them here and I will print them out and take them with me to the appeal. Thank all of you for your support through this.

Seanebones
10-24-02, 10:23 PM
Please take the time to check your local city or county ordinance on keeping any type of reptile in your area. If there is a ban, find out why. Get involved to help change it. If you don't no one will. We are not a bunch of stupid people. Most of us have been doing this a very long time, and all the newbies? Well they just might loose the chance to get all the enjoyment these animals bring us every day. Don't let this happen where you are. Don't let this happen ANYWHERE. Get up, get out, and save this hobby.

Bryan Self
10-25-02, 12:47 AM
If they are using public safty as a tool. Here are some figures for you.
Here are some statistics and their sources which may come in handy in thwarting some of the unfounded reptile legislation that some parts of the country are experiencing:

Each year, dog bites result in an average of 17 human deaths, 6,000 hospitilizations, and 330,000 emergency room visits[1-4]...

From January 1, 1995, through December 31, 1997, 6,293 animal attacks were reported to the city of Philadelphia(where this study was done). Of these cases, 5,390 (85.7 percent) were dog related, while the remaining 903 (14.3 percent) involved cats (633, or 10.1 percent); rats (39, or 0.6 percent); squirrels (35, or 0.6 percent); raccoons (three, or less than 0.1 percent); and ferrets, gerbils, groundhogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, horses, humans, mice, opossums, rabbits, skunks, snakes, and others (total of 193, or 3.1 percent)....

It is clear that even with the increasing popularity of "alternative" pets, dogs accounted for the majority of animal bites in the years 1995--1997, and that dogs continue to present the leading public health concern among domestic animals.

References:

The above statements are select passages from an article published in the Journal of Environmental Health, April 2000 v62 i8 p17 by Jason W. Stull and Robert R. Hodge.

1. Weiss, H.B., J.H. Coben, and D.I. Friedman (1998),"Incedence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments," Journal of the American Medical Association, 279(1):51-53.

2. Sacks, J.J., S.E. Bonzo, and R.W. Sattin(1989), "Dog Bite--Related Fatalities from 1979 through 1988," Journal of the American Medical Association, 262(11):1489-1492

3. Sacks, J.J., J. Hornreich, R. Lockwood, and R.W. Sattin(1996), "Fatal Dog Attacks, 1989-1994," Pediatrics, 97:891-895

4. Quinlan, K.P., and J.J. Sacks (1999), "Hospitilizations for Dog Bite Injuries," Journal of the American Medical Association, 281(3):232-233.

It is interesting to note that humans and snakes were lumped into the same category in the above data. There is also some good information pertaining to fatalities caused by reptiles on Melissa Kaplan's page. Here is the URL:http://www.anapsid.org/pdv-boid.html

Here is the majority of the content from the link:

Reptiles are very scary creatures to many people. Some reptiles, like many other animals kept as pets, can cause devastating wounds, transmit diseases to humans, and should always be treated with care and respect, no matter how tame they are. To put fears in perspective, the following facts are presented:

Human Deaths Caused By Animals

Animal Type
Per Year

Horses1

Dogs2

Reticulated pythons3

Burmese pythons3

Other pythons3

Boa constrictors3

Other boas4

Human Deaths by Accidents

Type of Accident
Per Year (avg. 1986-88)

Motor vehicles5

Firearms5

Drowning during sports/recreation5

Domestic wiring and appliances5

Estimated human injuries by Horses in US in 1991: 71,4906

Additional Information

Number of dog bites reported in Contra Costa County, CA in 1996: 4007

From DogBiteLaw.com
35% of US homes have dogs
80% of all animal bites are from dogs
900 dog bite victims are treated in emergency rooms every day

Per the CDC, there are over 4.7 million dog bites a year (nearly 2% of the U.S. population); 800,000 of them serious enough to require hospitalization

Sources

1. National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) estimated 105 deaths per year, but this would be low because many horse related injuries do not go to emergency rooms but to morgues (Bixby-Hammett, 1990). The figure 219 was determined using medical examiner figures and population (Bixby-Hammett, 1990).

2. National Safety Council, Accident Facts, 1991 Edition, average between 1986-1988. Note: According to more recent CDC figures, the total number of deaths from dog bites between 1979-1994 was 279, or an average of 17.4 per year. There were an additional 25 deaths from dog attacks in 1995-1996. (MMWR, May 30, 1997 / 46(21);463-466 Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996). A letter published in the 1999 Journal of the American Medical Association highlights the cost of dog-bite related hospitalizations.

3. Average between 1978 and 1988 (see McCarthy, V.O., Cox, R.A. and Haglund, B. 1989. "Death caused by a constricting snake - an infant death." Journal of Forensic Sciences, 31(1):239-243). There may have been one additional death by a Burmese python during that time period which would raise the figure for the Burmese to 0.2.

4. There is a rumor of one individual in the U.S. killed by a green anaconda but we have not yet been able to substantiate this.

5. Compiled from the National Safety Council, Accident Facts 1991 Edition, average between 1986-1988.

6. Figures from National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS), a part of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. NEISS recorded horse-related accidents that go to emergency rooms at identified hospitals. The majority of the accidents (48.6%) occurred at home.

7. NBC Evening News, September 1996. This was frequently announced in news stories on the air in the aftermath of several attacks by pitbulls and rottweilers in the (San Francisco, CA) bay area in the fall and winter of 1996. This does not include the dog maulings occurring in the area in 2000-2001, including one fatal attack.

8. Dogbitelaw.com

Seanebones
10-25-02, 12:53 AM
Thank you for the facts.

Bryan Self
10-25-02, 01:04 AM
Not a problem. Good luck with your fight. I know someone where I live that is fighting the county. He owns the only python rescue in So Cal. He lives on rural ag. property. But there is an obscure law that bans all snakes over 6 ft. in length. He could own a 100 chickens but must get rid of his 20 pythons unless he can get a conditional use permit. Well 2.5 years later he is still fighting. It is his neighbors that fear a loss of property value.

Big Mike
10-25-02, 09:18 AM
Keep up the fight...it may be just one battle in the war but it's in the right direction.

josefg
10-25-02, 12:34 PM
Good luck for the appeal buddy! I hope that u can get your snakes back

Seanebones
10-28-02, 06:48 PM
October 28, 2002

Mr. Sean F. McDonnell
1831 Blueridge Drive
Duncanville, Texas 75137

Dear Mr. McDonnell:

You requested an appeal committee hearing to allow you to keep Wild Animals (Pythons) at your home located at 1831 Blueridge, Duncanville. The Wild Animals are two Burmese Pythons and one Ball Python that would be in violation of City Ordinance Section 4-19 Prohibited Animals (B) (4).

The appeals committee met with you on Friday, October 25, 2002 to allow you to present your reasons to allow you to keep Wild Animals at your home. You presented information and provided documentation that the appeals committee reviewed thoroughly. After careful consideration of your appeal, the appeals committee denies your request for a permit.

The appeals committee bases our decision on what is in the best interest for public safety in our community. You stated you have no formal training in dealing with Pythons. You agreed that Pythons can be dangerous and unsafe in the hands of inexperienced handlers. You also stated you have an adult with you when you handle the Pythons over 5 feet in length. Therefore, these Wild Animals do present a dangerous and unsafe risk to the public.

In accordance with City Ordinance Sec. 4-27 APPEAL, you do have the right to appeal to the City Council within seven (7) days of receipt of this letter. To exercise this right, a written request should be sent to: Jeanne Fralicks, City Secretary, 203 E. Wheatland Road, Duncanville, Texas, 75116.

Thank you for your cooperation. The City of Duncanville appreciates your effort to resolve this matter.

Sincerely,

Jack Long
Chief of Police
City of Duncanville
Appeals Committee Chairman

Lisa
10-28-02, 07:14 PM
I feel for you on your fight. We're about to move and i haven't been able to find any info about ordinance on snakes in our new location. It would suck if we got there and found we couldn't keep our snakes.

Bryan Self
10-28-02, 07:18 PM
That sucks. My question is have they allowed any permits? If they have not your recource might be in the courts. It is ok to have a permit process, but if it is always turned down. Then tht makes it a ban. I know you are in Texas. Have you tried contacting the Barkers or the Belgados(sp). They are both keepers of large pythons and might be able to offer some help.
Good luck