PDA

View Full Version : First Blood

Lisa
10-23-02, 08:30 PM
Got my first bite. Of course it was Silas, one of our burms... He has teeth! Why couldn't it have been one of our corns? I wouldn't have even noticed if they bit me.

Ryan and Katie
10-23-02, 08:39 PM
How big of a burm is Silas?

Lisa
10-23-02, 09:01 PM
Oh he's just a baby, only 3.5 feet or so... It was more surprise then pain that got me, he only broke the skin a little bit. It was some where between a cat bite and a dog bite. I'm just glad it wasn't his mate, she's bigger.

Pixie
10-23-02, 10:15 PM
Good thing he's still on the small side, hope he won't continue this habit when he gets bigger! How did it happen?

Lisa
10-24-02, 04:53 PM
reached into his tank to get him for feeding, guess i didn't wash my hands enough after i took the rats out of the freezer. i thought i washed them really well with lots of antibacterial soap... maybe he likes the soap?

Syst3m
10-24-02, 05:06 PM
I've noticed that mouse/rat scent can be pretty strong. I've got a keen nose and can smell it after washing my hands twice.
If you think it might be a problem get some lemon juice and coat your hands in it before handling him.

Lisa
10-24-02, 06:44 PM
I think i'll be using gloves to handle the rats from now on, and possibly a hook. he's fine in other times.

CJN2216
10-24-02, 07:40 PM
See that just creeps me out. I guess if your a snake keeper you have to expect to be bit sometime or another... yeah? I've never been bit...yet (knock on wood). Not looking forward to the day I get sloppy and let my guard down:(

Linds
10-24-02, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
It was some where between a cat bite and a dog bite.

You haven't been bitten by my cat...lol :p He could put a 5' burm to shame....lol :rolleyes:

Bryan Self
10-24-02, 08:39 PM
Reminds me of the saying. When you are dealing with snakes it is not a matter of if, but when will you get bit. Burms have a great feeding responce. I feed mine with tongs. He is about 12ft. now. I do not want a bite at this time. I also like too point out that is is never the snakes fault. It is always ours as the owner. Welcome to the bleeders club.

Lisa
10-28-02, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Bryan Self
Reminds me of the saying. When you are dealing with snakes it is not a matter of if, but when will you get bit. Burms have a great feeding responce. I feed mine with tongs. He is about 12ft. now. I do not want a bite at this time. I also like too point out that is is never the snakes fault. It is always ours as the owner. Welcome to the bleeders club.

Now we always make sure there are 2 of us to feed, one to handle the rats one to handle the snakes. big snakes first.

the worst thing about this bite is that he pinched a nerve and it flared up a week later... the pinched nerve hurt way more then the snake bite.

Lisa
10-28-02, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Linds
You haven't been bitten by my cat...lol :p He could put a 5' burm to shame....lol :rolleyes:

The rotti i used to have would tear appart truck tires (buying pet toys was a waste of money).

Dunner
10-31-02, 12:13 PM
The rotti i used to have would tear appart truck tires

yeah my dogs (APBT's) love tires, and they're cow hide on the spring pole, one of the males chewed his way out of the spare room, chewed and scratched the bottom corner of the door off, because my female was in heat, ah well, needed a new door anyways

Clownfishie
11-08-02, 12:03 PM
Well, glad to hear that you both seem to have survived the experience..

I'm well aware that I'm going to get bit at some point, I'm just not really looking forward to it ;)

Lisa
11-08-02, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Clownfishie
Well, glad to hear that you both seem to have survived the experience..

I'm well aware that I'm going to get bit at some point, I'm just not really looking forward to it ;)

kate tells me that a gecko bite is worse then a snake bite.

speaking of snake bites, turns out Silas left a tooth or two in me, one came out the other night, I thought it was a pinched nerve. I think there's one left in my knuckle but it's hard to tell... One thing though, it's not as &#^@ing sore. I wanted to take a pic of the tooth but we didn't have the camera here yet.