PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacation

TheReptileGuy
11-04-04, 08:14 PM
Hey guys and gals I couldnt find the info I was looking for after searching.

I am going to my parents house for three and a half weeks at christmas time and my Ball Python has to stay here in FL. My roommate will do water changes but he doesnt want to feed her. I am planning on removing both heat sources (lamp and under tank heater) to keep her less active since she wont be eating. My house will probably be set at like 67 degrees or so I am guessing. The only other thing i'm worried about is making sure my roommate gets the poop out if she makes one.

So what do you think? Do I need to cycle her or something slowly cooling the tank down for a few weeks before I leave? Or can I just unplug it that morning and leave? Or would it be smarter to leave the temps normal?

Jeff_Favelle
11-04-04, 08:42 PM
Cooling down a Ball Python to 67F is NOT an option. They are TROPICAL pythons.

3 weeks is nothing as far as food goes, provided the snake is plump and healthy to begin with.

LEAVE THE TEMPS NORMAL. But question; what are these normal temps you speak of?

TheReptileGuy
11-04-04, 09:40 PM
Hey. Thanks for the reply. Shes in a 20G long right now (the snake is about 18" long) I have an UTH on one side that stays about 84 degrees constantly and my other side is lit 12 hours a day with a 60 watt exoterra blue bulb gets up to about 90 range. These temps are recorded on two stick on thermometers by the way (i know i should have a digital) What temps are these snakes normally brumated at? My friends corns are at 50-60 degrees but I understand these snakes are as far north as NJ, USA and not west africa where it is undoubtedly much hotter.

munchy
11-04-04, 10:40 PM
i dont think you brumate BPs.

joebagadohnut
11-05-04, 12:38 AM
With a thermometer, thermostat, and a timer, your tank can run itself.

Feed it a large amount before you go.

that's what I would do.
JEremy.

TheMan
11-05-04, 08:21 AM
First of all, you're correct, you need a digital thermometer because those stick on ones are extremely inaccurate. Second, your heat sources should be on the same side of the cage. 90-95hot spot and 78-82cool.

Jeff_Favelle
11-05-04, 02:18 PM
First of all, you're correct, you need a digital thermometer because those stick on ones are extremely inaccurate. Second, your heat sources should be on the same side of the cage. 90-95hot spot and 78-82cool.

Yep!

hhw
11-05-04, 07:43 PM
What is your humidity like? With aquarium + light it sounds like it may be dehyrdation city... I would try covering most of the top to keep humidity in, as well as using a substrate that holds moisture well. 3 weeks without any food is no problem at all as long as it is well fed; 3 weeks kept in dry conditions would probably be worse, especially if it needs to shed during that time.

Derrick
11-05-04, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
LEAVE THE TEMPS NORMAL. But question; what are these normal temps you speak of?

hehe.

Jeff_Favelle
11-06-04, 06:24 AM
Heh heh indeed. ;)