PDA

View Full Version : Story of a shed

Big Mike
10-22-02, 10:34 AM
I knew he was going to shed soon. I had been misting and even kept a damp towel over the tank. When I woke this morning, Strider my BP, had started to shed. Thankfully he managed to get the skin off his head and eyes which he didn't do the shed before I got him. His first few inches past his head were not coming off very well and he had not been able to get any further.

I put him in a damp pillow cloth while I jumped in the shower. When I took him out, he had improved be was still not getting his old skin to come off cleanly. The pillowcase was getting quite cold so I put him in a Rubbermaid with warm water and a wet towel. I left him in there while I got dressed and ready for work.

He was using the towel and the humidity and he was starting to rub off more of the old skin but it still was tearing rather than coming off cleanly. I'm sure he could have eventually rubbed off most of it, had I left him in there long enough. I would have to leave for work soon and besides that I don't like to leave him in the Rubbermaid bath too long.

Rather than put him back into his enclosure and hope that he could get it all off by himself I decided to help him out. I got a warm cloth and took him out of the bath. I lightly rubbed off the patches of old skin until he had about half of his body completely shed. I held the cloth around him and let him pull his way out of his old skin at his own pace.

This worked for about another 6" or so. I was trying to make sure that the remaining skin came off without tearing or patching. It did start to come off in pieces as I got to the last few inches of his body. I was already going to be late for work but I was not going to force him or just rip off the old skin. I took my time and let him pull his way as much as possible.

Finally I got most of the skin but it did not come off of his tail. I had to hold the damp cloth right around his tail, which he did not like very much but when it was off he 'seemed' happy to be free of his old skin. He wanted to spend some time climbing on me but I had to leave for work.

I wish my girlfriend had not already left for work so that I could have got some pictures while he was shedding. It was a great experience and he looks great now. I'll take some pictures when I get home.

If you got this far...thanks for reading. :cool:

silke
10-22-02, 01:09 PM
aw...can't help it but I like hearing how you took your time with him even though you were running late

my boss is already getting sick of me talking about all of my critters...don't think he'd like me being late due to shed problems.

Tim_Cranwill
10-22-02, 01:49 PM
Hey Mike, didn't you feel like it was a bonding experience. I had a similar thing happen with one of my kings.... Glad it worked out for you guys!