PDA

View Full Version : Are they BCI or BCC???

ThatsBoss2You
10-21-02, 11:12 PM
Hello All, Don from Auburn CA

I love snakes, you love snakes, so here we are. I love that so many people from so far apart can share, engage, and add-to a "hobby" & passion in a creative and open way.

Here are our young ones, could you help us figure out what they are. I was told that they are Colombian Red Tails, and of the BCC Persuasion, but I am unsure.

Not a very good camera by far, I have more pix if this one does not help.

http://thats-boss-to-you.freeservers.com/images/Pastel%26Red4.JPG

Bryan Self
10-21-02, 11:19 PM
Don,
Wellcome. It is hard to tell from pictures. From the looks of them my guess is BCI. You would need to do a scale count for a more accurate determination. Another way to tell is where did you get them? If they were bought at a pet shop then thye are BCI. There are very few shops that sell BCC.
Good Luck,

ThatsBoss2You
10-21-02, 11:24 PM
I did get them from a Pet Shop and was told that they were BCC. He, the owner, also said the mother was 11.5 feet long to "support" that they were BCC, but she was at his house. What "Scale" count are you referring to and how do I do that?

And thank you for you reply :)

ANIMAL5051
10-22-02, 04:30 AM
what is bcc and bci mean? im new to all of this just got my first snake 4 days ago

Syst3m
10-22-02, 05:19 AM
B.C.C. Boa Constrictor Constrictor
B.C.I. Boa Constrictor Imperator

I'm probably wrong but its something like that.

rattekonigin
10-22-02, 07:04 AM
A Columbian BCI can grow to be 11.5 ft and bigger, as can a BCC...so size doesn't really "support" his argument...as for the scale counts, I know what's being referred to, but I will leave it to someone who knows more about it to explain it, as I don't know all the details...

Scotty Allen
10-22-02, 07:26 AM
You've got it right Syst3m. However, if you want to get really technical, when using the binomial or trinomial (Latin name), only the genus should start with an upper case letter eg. Boa constrictor imperator. Just my .02 CDN.

Edwin
10-22-02, 07:46 AM
I would guess BCI, but it is not concrete without a scale count. Also, there are many hybrids out there. Here is a good website to help you identifity your boas.

www.boa-constrictors.com

This is where I got most of my information from when I was shopping for my bci. Hope this helps.

Bryan Self
10-22-02, 12:08 PM
A scale count is just that counting scales at mid-body. It is a pain.
I caanot remember the ranges for each species. If you wanted I could find out. Another thing is the Dorsal Saddles. On your picture I count 22 & 26 this keys out to BCI. However it is not as exact as a scale count. Another question if you do not mind. How much did you pay for them? There is usually a big difference in prices.

hip
10-22-02, 08:15 PM
Bci (columbians ) are large as are Bcc(true redtails) but 11.5 feet is very uncommon and almost unheard of.You sir or mam have two Bci boas or hybrids there of, check out the circle shape of the saddles on the back which is almost always exclusive to Bci.Unless you have hybrids,which are more uncommon in the columbian boa s due to the fact that they are easy to breed and have large litters(but not totally unheard of) expect to have 2 snakes of 5 -8 feet that will be good natured, good feeders, and long lived if you do your part right Take care and enjoy those bci peace Hip