PDA

View Full Version : need help

snakeman92
10-21-02, 05:03 PM
ok, my babies mice are hopper now and i took them away from the mom but i cant tell which is male and which is female if u could send a pic of them it would really help

Syst3m
10-21-02, 07:37 PM
Well, the best way to tell is nipples. If you can see nipples its a female. Otherwise the Distance between the sex organ and the anus is the easiest way. You are safe until they are 5 weeks old really. So it might be easier to tell by then. Males have a much greater distance between the sex organ and the anus, females is much closer. Hope that helps. I really don't have any pics of my mice genitals to send. But truthfully does it matter? If they are just feeder mice leave them all together unless your interested in culling the males. Sexual maturity CAN happen at 5 weeks, but its usually closer to 2 months in reality. Its usually the buck that sired the litter who gets the does pregnant at a young age, most male mice don't realize how it works for a few months.

snakeman92
10-21-02, 08:10 PM
ok so it is ok to leave them together for 5weeks to 2 months ok so i will just leave them then
thanks

Syst3m
10-21-02, 11:49 PM
Its not really a big deal, I mean your Really not concerend about having MORE feeders are you? I have more trouble getting litters out of my mice at a young age.

The only reason I seperate male from female is I cull my males. males produce the worst odor. Giving them more time to reach maturity so you can see the sex organ isn't going to harm them.
But the males smell, the males smell horrible.