PDA

View Full Version : humidity?

Clownfishie
10-21-02, 04:46 PM
Alright -- now that you've all met Xander, on to the questions :) For the time being, I'm housing him in a rubbermaid shoebox -- I put holes all around the rim of the container for air circulation. The water bowl is on the opposite side of the container from the heat source, but there's a fair amount of condensation on the walls of the container on the side that the water bowl is on -- any thoughts? I don't want it to be too humid in there for him... The temp is about 85 on the warmer side... Should I be putting holes in the lid too, to let some of the humidity escape?

Jen

Syst3m
10-22-02, 12:00 AM
Get a good Hygometer to check the humidity, I think 60-70 percent is fine, but I think you could use a bit higher heat, I've heard 90-95 for a bask zone on BP.

Quervo
10-22-02, 12:55 AM
BP's do like a hot spot of about 90 or so .. 60 percent humidity is fine normally, bring it up a bit or put in a humid box for when they are shedding.
If you have condensation on the walls chances are the humidity is way too high for a ball, but as Syst3m says, get a good hygrometer and be sure.

Clownfishie
10-22-02, 06:56 AM
Ok guys, cool... I'll try and grab one on the way home from work today... the walls down at the water bowl end look foggy... as opposed to having big water droplets.

I know that the temp down at the warm end should be a bit higher, I'm just not sure how to get it up there. Maybe I can aim a heat lamp through the side of the container or something... the UTH is a big one (although I've only got part of the container on top of it, most of the UTH is just lying exposed) -- I thought that I'd have more of a problem with it being too hot than too cold... Why do things never work as planned :) Hehe...

nuno
10-22-02, 07:09 AM
What kind of UTH are you using and what is a shed box and what does it do?

Big Mike
10-22-02, 09:58 AM
I think a shed box refers to a humid hide that the snake can retreat to if it feels the need to be more (humid, moist, etc)

A plastic container with some sort of moisture retaining substance (like moss) is the norm.

That way you don't have to worry too much about raising the humidity of the whole enclosure and the snake can use it at its leisure.

Tim_Cranwill
10-22-02, 01:54 PM
They work well. I used damp paper towels and a sandwich size rubbermaid with a access hole cut in the top. My baby bp spent quite a bit of time in there and did his shed came off in one piece.

nuno
10-22-02, 11:10 PM
So what your saying is that you just put damp paper towels in a tuppaware container with a hole cut out in the top.

Does the snake go in the container?

What kind of moss do you use and why?

Cand the moss hurt the snake?

Can someone give me a more detailed description or a picture of this because I'm interested to know and see how this works.

thanks, Nuno