PDA

View Full Version : feeding quail and chicks???

steveo
10-12-04, 05:54 PM
this is not of the utmost importance but, i am looking at a rodent breeder ad... not mentioning names, they have quail and chicks. i am planing to get a new burm or 2 in the up coming hatch season. i have feed my 2 sub adults both mice then rats when growing. if anyone can help with some pros and cons of feeding birds and chicks, when still very young. also is it even worth it to try and change??? let me know what ya think:confused:

Vanan
10-12-04, 07:06 PM
Birds are supposedly more nutritious, but watch out for the poop! It tends to come out rather sloppy. :p Feeding it to a burm won't be a problem as burms aren't picky eaters. We used to feed our kings, rats, and bulls chicks when available.

steveo
10-12-04, 08:00 PM
alright i will give that a try with my new ones i have time to figure it all out cuz i am picking some up from a very well known breeders. but they said hatching stock think may or june or sometime around.

blazinreps
10-21-04, 06:58 PM
i was wodnering if any one has tried feeding chicks to bps. i live in a more rural area. there is a farmers maket rite neer me and i know chicks r alot cheaper then mice and rats and if there more nutritional to thats even better. Just wondering who has feed chicks to there snakes so far?

mice4you
10-21-04, 10:22 PM
I used to feed chicks to my bp's (and others) when I brought them out of brumation. They seem to gain weight a little faster using chicks. I never used it as a sole diet.

Certain snakes really take a liking to them. Most pine and gopher snakes relish chicks.