PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean your terrariums?

Edwin
10-18-02, 05:23 PM
I used to use 10% bleach but it really irritates my skin, so now I have switched to dishwashing liquid, then flushing out with hot water. It is a lot of work, and I am hoping to learn more efficient methods of cleaning out my terrariums.

ElapheScott
10-18-02, 06:11 PM
I use a VERY diluted solution of a bio-friendly cleaner. Check camping supply stores, they usually have a good assortment of Nature friendly soaps and what-not.
I still make sure to rinse well with water.( You can never be too careful with your kids!)

casacrow
10-18-02, 06:13 PM
I use CLR to remove water spots from misting and then a little bit of bleach in the water. I thoroughly rinse afterwards and then rinse again to be safe.

Syst3m
10-18-02, 06:15 PM
Edwin

http://www.anapsid.org/cleaning.html
http://www.anapsid.org/disinfectants.html

Some good reading for cleaning and disinfecting.

Linds
10-18-02, 06:35 PM
For routine cleaning I use dishsoap, and for disinfecting I use a combination of vinegar and peroxide (spray with peroxide and then spray over that with peroxide and let sit then rinse/wipe).

Edwin
10-18-02, 08:07 PM
Thanks Syst3m, those are excellent articles. Anyone know of a good place to buy Nolvasan in Ontario?

JamesBryan
10-20-02, 12:36 PM
I have used a variety of cleaners and disinfectants over the years.

I like 10% bleach with a bit of soap. You can buy scented bleaches that are nice but cost a little more. The down side with bleach solutions is that you really need to let the solution set for at least 5 minutes and preferable 10 minutes.

Betadine (buy the Equate brand from Walmart) mixed at around 5% is plenty strong and is faster than bleach. I mix in soap to remove dirt while scrubbing.

Currently, we are trying a product called Odo-ban or something like that. Sold at Sam's So far, I like the smell, it dissolves urates well (a big plus) and doesn't stain if you drip it on the carpet.

We have also tried peroxide (3%)

I have switched from newspaper (long time user) to Aspen. This had made cleaning much easier on me as the Aspen does not need to be changed frequently like paper. It spot cleans as well, unlike newprint. Looks better too. Has odor control, unlike newspaper. I run around 30-50 animals at any given time so it works for larger collections as well as smaller ones. It keeps the urates off the cage better than newspaper as the snakes tend to poop on the aspen and not on the sides of the cage like with newspaper since they are trying to find traction while defecating.
I use it in the rodents as well.

James Bryan

Lisa
10-27-02, 12:29 AM
we use 20% vinigar to clean the insides of the cages

Pythoncurtus
10-28-02, 02:38 PM
I use a dilute solution of novalsan!:D

Bryan Self
10-28-02, 02:49 PM
Try your local vet. That is where I get my nolvsan. It also goes under the name virosan.
Good luck

Edwin
10-28-02, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info Bryan, I will check with my vet.

Mymy
10-29-02, 01:48 PM
Hi! Me I use Fantastik, I rinse with hot water and after dry all the cage. Anyway, the snakes dont absorbe liquid with their skin like amphibians...

Mymy
xxx