PDA

View Full Version : Retained sheds

VI Reptiles
10-07-04, 10:21 AM
I figured out that my snake actually does not have RI but he had a few retained sheds! I boosted the humidity to 90% and that really got him shedding. Im just wondering should i maybe help him get it off or just put some nice rough rocks in so he can scratch it off himself? I dont wanna hurt him so thats why i dont wanna pull but if i should I will. I put some newspaper in about 5 layers then soaked nicely! right now im giving him a bath for 4 hours so it will be more moiste and will come off easier.

AngelOfDeath
10-07-04, 12:20 PM
wow sounds like some seriously stuck skin. I 'm going through almost the same thing right now. My BP Loki has retained shed but only on his head I will try what you are doing to help him get it off his head. Looks like you are on the right track.....Good luck.......... post any updates

VI Reptiles
10-07-04, 12:22 PM
I helped him lose his retained shed and he should recover nicely after being in his tight suit

AngelOfDeath
10-07-04, 12:25 PM
how long did the whole process take? Was he retained shed completely over his body or just partially in some spots of his body?

VI Reptiles
10-07-04, 04:40 PM
His whole body! I kinda just let him go his own way while holding on his shed. for his head I rubbed his nose and it started coming off so I peeled back toward his tail. Make sure when you peel it off to peel it slowly so it doesnt hurt him and get off ALL the skin around his lips and nose it all has to come off!

Jayson
10-07-04, 05:45 PM
Another idea that works really well is putting the snake in a wet pillow case and place it back in its encloser for a few hours.

AngelOfDeath
10-07-04, 06:10 PM
It took almost a week but I finally got the dry shed skin off of Loki's head ...... He shed all the rest of his skin off on Monday and left all the shed on his head like he was shedding backwards........ but after a lot of soaking and rubbing it came off like 5 mins ago....... hope his next shed is not so difficult.........almost had to go to the vet .......... shed ease its great isn't it LOL........... pics will be up soon

morph
10-07-04, 06:11 PM
Actually Jayson that is a pretty bad idea as snakes have suffocated from doing that. You may not have had any problems doing that but many snakes have died from that remedy. Wet cloth just doesn't breath that well.

Scott

VI Reptiles
10-07-04, 06:52 PM
You gotta wring it out a bit!

snakesterdelux
10-07-04, 06:56 PM
Jayson now lets sit back and think about this idea ......................... ........... ya thats what i thought you better go sit in the corner and shake your head in shame

AngelOfDeath
10-07-04, 07:05 PM
LOL