PDA

View Full Version : Flexwatt

corr
10-18-02, 10:23 AM
I'm in the planning stages of building some melamine cages. From what I gather from other threads, heat tape is the best way to go. The question is; where do you Canadians get it? Is there a electrical/plumbing supply place that sells it, or do I have to go online?

TIA

silke
10-18-02, 10:31 AM
these aren't available in Canada so it'll have to be online or a quick trip across the border

corr
10-18-02, 01:00 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks silke.

Syst3m
10-18-02, 05:16 PM
Your going to have to import it most likely from an online store, I've not been able to find it here very easily. www.beanfarm.com is probably your best source. I buy it from them, they have the best prices too on it.

corr
10-18-02, 09:08 PM
Excellent! It's not as expensive as I thought!

Linds
10-19-02, 12:26 AM
LOL wait until the exchange and shipping :p My $36 US order came to $118 CDN :eek:

Syst3m
10-19-02, 02:59 AM
Lindsey did you use USPS or UPS. If your going to ship something small enough to go through the USPS like flexwatt is then you should use USPS UPS tends to hose people on brokerage fees.

corr
10-19-02, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Linds
LOL wait until the exchange and shipping :p My $36 US order came to $118 CDN :eek:

:eek: :confused: Wow!

Well, when I think about it, I could only buy 3 or 4 UTHs with that. You prolly got a few feet for 36, eh Linds?

Another question; I assume that one just sticks the tape on the inside of the cage. On the backside? Is it just exposed or something else over it? What is the "foil" that the Beanfarm sells too?

Linds
10-19-02, 07:02 AM
Don't know what way it was shipped to me. I think the duty was probably what killed me, it's usually the culprit. I got 15' of heat tape and some connectors. It's non-adhesive, so you need to use some method of attaching such as aluminimum foil tape.

jay76
10-19-02, 11:26 AM
Could someone tell me why exactly flexwatt/heat tape in general is taboo here in Canada? We're not trusted enough to be able to wire it or something? I asked in the chatroom and someone said CSA forbids it, but I'm wondering why exactly...

jay76
10-19-02, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah if it's something reasonable, CSA approval might be possible... I work for an electronics company that's currently considering branching out, and if enough Canadians are interested in getting heat tape I might make a proposal. We've got CSA approval on some of our own products, so it's not an alien concept...

Opinions anyone?