PDA

View Full Version : where can i look?

lanalizard
10-18-02, 08:45 AM
i wanna go looking around for our native snakes and snap pics but the only snake i can find is the garters.
i live in kitchener. Any one know where i can find something besides the garters? and what snakes are native around here?

Kyle Barker
10-18-02, 11:26 PM
Wher abouts in ontario is that (south, north)? and what big city is it close too? Sorry dont know ontario places very well.

lanalizard
10-19-02, 08:15 AM
it is southern/southwestern ontario....99km from toronto.

Kyle Barker
10-20-02, 02:37 AM
There ar ethe Blue racre "Coluber constrictor foxi"(dint know if your far enough south, but its in southern ontario), Northern ringneck snake "Diadophis punctatus edwardsi", Some type of rat snake in south "Elaphe obsoleta ssp", Eastern hognose i think "Heterodon platyrhinos", milk snake "lampropeltis triangulum ssp", Northern water snake "Nerodia sipedon sipedon", Eastern green snake "Opheodrys vernalis vernalis", Red bellied snake "Storeria occipitomaculata ssp", Northern brown snake "Storeria dekayi dekayi", Eastern massasauga rattler "sistrurus catenatus catenatus". There may be more but no that i can think of(there are the garers/ribbons). Also im not quite sure of where you are so i included the ones that lized in southern Ontario.

Hope this helps,
Kyle

SolidSnake
10-27-02, 08:07 PM
All snakes (except gaters i think) are located very south of Ontario. Ontario has most reptiles species in Canada because Ontario streches so far south. Most reptiles are located right next to the greak lakes, and some are on Pelee Island. A little island in Lake Eriee. Thats all i could think off.

I live in Toronto and all I could find is Garters as well

Christina
10-28-02, 08:34 PM
Lana
FIve lined skinks like to live near swampy areas under rocks.
Hog noses like to live in more sandy areas like quarries.
Water snakes are a given lol
Smooth greens tend to stick to tall grassy areas with some rocks for basking.
you will find milk snakes normally where there is an abundance of garters.
Massaugas are way north and so are ring necks talking up near Goergian bay area there is some other areas but that is all I know for now (well remember lol)
And yes pelee point is an awesome place to go hunting for pics!
Newts and salamanders are found under rotting logs and pieces of bark.
WELL that is all my memory bank will put out right now if I think of everything else I will let ya know.
Christina

Christina
10-28-02, 08:39 PM
oh yeah redbellies like to live in leaf litter nearer to small streams and like to eat slugs.
Northern ribbons are in densely forested areas and hard to catch they are FAST!
All of the species I have listed we have found and released for pics just in our own area except for the ringneck, masassauga rattler and the black rat.
We live near the Petroglyphs provincial park and it is a great place to look for almost anything including turtles, frogs and toads.

Kyle it is a black rat if I am correct and hard to find! I do believe they are cloose to extinction here.

lanalizard
10-28-02, 10:00 PM
thanks guys, obviously i think that snake season is up.
til next year tho...woohoo im ready