PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Gecko Or Corn ??

AngelOfDeath
10-05-04, 09:54 AM
For a week or so now I couldn't decide what kind of new herp I was gonna get. But now I am down to either a corn or a Leopard gecko.The home for the new Herp will probably be a rubbermaid that I will customize for the herp. Which one do you think I should get and why?

Ptindy
10-05-04, 10:11 AM
I think you should get neither. Get a crested gecko. Way cooler then both of those. They don't need heat, and they don't need crickets every feeding. Leopards can't climb walls, cresteds can. If you insist on one of the two, I'd go with the corn snake. I just don't really like leopard geckos.

lostwithin
10-05-04, 10:43 AM
Now I would have too argue, one of my first reptiles was a leopard gecko, he unfortunately died of a prolapsed intestine a few months after i purchased him but it was a very rewarding animal too own, he became very docile. I also like that fact that he could not climb glass/walls; it made capture after accidental escape a bit easier. and they are fascinating too watch hunt down crickets. I am not a big fan of corn snakes, they just do not appeal too me. and again snakes are expert escape artists.

If your just new too the hobby Leo's are great, so are corns, but i would go with a Leo. And even now after years of keeping all sorts of reptiles big and small i would still pic up a Leo over a corn any day.

Devon

AngelOfDeath
10-05-04, 10:44 AM
Thanx for the advice but there are no crested geckos that i know of in my imediate area but there are plenty of corns and leopards and I already have a BP but dont have room for a basilisk

rwg
10-05-04, 10:57 AM
Get corn. Advantage due to feeding frequency, and no need to have live bugs in your home.

rg

Ptindy
10-05-04, 11:18 AM
I still say a crestie. Or a Irian Jaya Carpet. A little more pricing but way nicer!

ChokeOnSmoke
10-05-04, 03:53 PM
Both are great. If you would rather not have live insects and feed often get a corn, if you want more "personality" in a herp I would say go for the leopard.

asegmentedmind
10-16-04, 09:39 PM
I would go with the leopard. But to tell you the truth, I am not too fond of them...

I like Fat Tailed Gecko's...hehe

BoidKeeper
10-17-04, 09:05 AM
I've had them both and I think they both offer different rewards and are eqaly enjoyable. The only reason I give the nod to the corn is because I feel that they are easier to feed. No need for live bugs in the house just a bag of frozen rodents in the freezer. What could be easier than once a week thawing out a mouse and droping it in and walking away. You can also leave for almost a week with out worrying about your corn but with a gecko you will need to feed is at least every two days.
May if you want a lizard you could consider a Occelated Skink. They stay small like Leopard Geckos but they eat canned cat food so you get a small lizard but no bugs.
Cheers,
Trevor

Linds
11-01-04, 02:21 PM
Leos are wicked fun pets to have. You won't find anything with more personality than a leo. They are probably the only reptile that actually seems to thrive on human attention :eek: Definitely in a class of its own. Corns are fun too (but not nearly as much, since they aren't interactive), but since you already have one snake, I would go with the leo for sure :D

Originally posted by Ptindy
I Leopards can't climb walls, cresteds can.

LOL just goes to show how preferences differ between people, because that is one of the reason I DON'T like cresties :p

ydnic
11-01-04, 02:30 PM
Yeah if you get a crested becareful. I have a marble gecko and those suckers can jump - and climb FAST. If you are keeping it in a rubber maid be prepared to not be able to open the lid with a crested because if its stuck to the lid - and it jumps away you`ll have a great time trying to catch it!