PDA

View Full Version : If you had to sell your house....

Artemis
09-30-04, 08:53 AM
Ladies Especially (sorry guys but really) think about this and let me know your thoughts. My realtor is already creeped out by the snake. Its so funny to me cause I just think he is cute.... Im trying to win her over but, ya know...Should i put him in a more discreet location than the big and dramatically done up 4 and half foot enclosure in my living room, or should I opt for a nice discreet rubbermaid, at least for the time being? I love my snake and I love looking at him, but I do need to get out of here fast, hopefully before it starts to pour snow!

With God knows who walking around the house as they consider buying it, what would you do if it was your house and your snakes??

Thanks for your thoughts on this-

Artemis

Vengeance
09-30-04, 09:06 AM
I keep mine private because the Bylawys where I live prohibt me from having them. So only a few people know that I do have them and they are kept in rooms with the door closed so the general public doesn't get to see them. I would hate for a neighbour the get a pickle up his/her *** about something and then cry to the police about my snakes.

Artemis
09-30-04, 09:09 AM
Yes but if you sold your house, dont you think before people closed on the house they would want to know whats behind door number one? Its not illegal for me to keep them, but I doubt the people looking at my house will be as enthusiastic about mine as I am.

latazyo
09-30-04, 10:03 AM
I dont' really see why it would matter considering that it has nothing to do with the house....it's not like a cat or a dog that would make your house stink and scratch up the corners and carpet

I'd say go balls to the wall and leave it out and just explain that it is a harmless pet

Cham911
09-30-04, 10:11 AM
I say cover them up....hide them...do whatever you can to make the potential buyer feel at ease. This is about selling your house for the MOST money you can, and in the time frame you want.

So....basically, do WHATEVER it takes. Some people just don't like snakes...and just the thought that there were snakes in the house MAY cost you a sale.

And I bet if you ask any realtor the question, they will likely say the same thing...they are the experts....and they know what can make or break a deal.

That's just my 2 cents....

And.....GOOD LUCK! Hope you get hella huge bux0rs! (in my best impression of my 12 year old son).

JD@reptiles
09-30-04, 06:29 PM
send them to a friends house..

Scales Zoo
09-30-04, 06:41 PM
I know people who've tried to sell their houses with their snakes still inside, but all eventually hid or moved the snakes before they got to sell their house.

I'm not sure if I know of anyone who sold their house without hiding or moving the snakes (except for 1 person, but family bought his house, and were aware of the snakes, so in that case it didn't matter)

Ryan

Scales Zoo
09-30-04, 06:46 PM
oops, please delete

vanderkm
10-01-04, 09:17 AM
Interesting topic as we are currently in the process of listing our home and we definitely have more than one snake!! Our realtor thinks they are very interesting, pre-view by other realtors has been positive so far, but we were prepared for the worst (having to move with the snakes first and then sell). Will be interesting to see if there is any impact, but the realtor says she has sold homes to people who were initially concerned but still bought the house.

I think a lot depends on the set-up - if it looks haphazard and people think escapes are probable, then it might be a problem. If they are too afraid to even view the house once they hear there were snakes present, they likely wouldn't buy it anyway. I am sure there are people out there like us that would think the animals are interesting (I hope!!).

We have secured the rack systems so tubs cannot be pulled out by kids and covered the 'nursery' tank so there will be minimal disruption to the babies, but other than that, all the snakes in tanks and custom cages will remain visible. I am more concerned about the security of the collection - some stupid person opening a cage door - than scaring away buyers - but I guess we will see how it goes.

mary v.

Linds
10-01-04, 10:10 AM
Well, I definitely couldn't stash them elsewhere, since they take up my entire room. I would probably cover them up with sheets though. I don't want the headache of all these people coming through and looking at my snakes (which most likely wouldn't be pleased with).

Artemis
10-02-04, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys- this has been most helpful. I think i am going to get those double sided sticky velcro things, and fashion a curtain that can fasten to the front of the enclosure and be taken down at my whim, but will still be fast if the realtor calls and tells me she will be here in 10 minutes. Kinda like a table skirt I guess, lol.

Thanks for all the honest answers, and if anyone has another perspective, Im all ears.

All this selling the house business just plain sucks anyways!

Art

rwg
10-05-04, 01:05 PM
Interesting. I'm moving out of my rental apartment at the end of the month. My landlord didn't know I had herps, but he brought someone in to show the place with no notice while I was out the other day. He hasn't said anything about them, so maybe he doesn't care, but if he had given me notice I would have covered them (and maybe cleaned up a little). What do I care...all of my snakes are legal, and you cant be forced out for having pets in Ontario.

Ptindy
10-05-04, 01:25 PM
rwg, i'm in the same boat. No reptiles allowed in the building. But if the guy wants to show it off at the end of my lease what do I care? I'm leaving anyways! Just have to hid everything I bring in. Enclosures are brpought in under the cover of night haha. I'm sneaky.

Mike

Boidbrain
10-06-04, 04:51 AM
If I was selling my house I think potential buyers would have more of a problem with my 45 breeder rats and 15 breeding groups of mice than they would with my 24 snakes. But I have too many animals to try to hide anyway. Besides, all my critters would be moving with me, so what would be the problem?

Artemis
10-06-04, 04:19 PM
Well I cant move until its sold, thats the clincher. It has to be shown while I still live here. I WISH I could afford to get out and still pay the mortgage, but my job is here and I doubt I will find one that pays me what Im worth where we are going. Husband is already there, but the cost of living increase is so insane that his new salary will take care of him up there, and my job is taking care of things here.

Queensnake29
10-13-04, 05:09 AM
My own opinion,
You never know who is coming to look at your house. I have.....now 4 cornsnakes and 1 kingsnake. My mother freaked...and I'm a girl!! My father and I and some of my friends don't freak out, however, some people freak out by it even if I am checking a snake out and holding it at a pet store. Different cultures and backgrounds love snakes...while some might see them as evil or a bad omen...while others think they are lucky and something to be worshipped. So, just because the world is sadly as close-minded as it is...I would keep them out of sight for the time being.

kcpets
10-15-04, 01:54 AM
I would just leave it how it is.
My snakes...and lizards...and arachnids... are no less part of my family than my dog or cats, and should really have absolutely NOTHING to do with selling a house.
But, there are people in the world who are not so understanding, so have your realtor explain before going into the house what is waiting in the living room (and that there is NO WAY it can get out of the enclosure). This will give potentail buyers some warning and time to prepare for a new, and interesting, sight.

vanderkm
10-15-04, 09:15 AM
Our home has been on the market for just under a week and with about a dozen showings no one has been concerned enough about the snakes to refuse to view it. Our listing agent is very supportive and explains that all snakes are housed securely so that they cannot escape and that there are none that are any risk to anyone. The first agent through still arrived a bit early so he could meet us and ask about the snakes - we got quite a chuckle that he wanted to make sure 'they were all tied up'!!

mary v.