PDA

View Full Version : new baby piranha

Corn_Snake1325
09-25-04, 05:18 PM
hi i have a new baby piranha and i gave it a piece of fish but they dont seem to eat it should i feed it something else and what?there like a inch.or 2 long.

Thanks

concept3
09-25-04, 05:27 PM
try a live minnow, piranahs stress very easy and generally will not eat when you are watching unless their is a pack. I used to keep mine (red bellies) in my walk in closet. They like very dim light, also check you ph, i kept mine at about 7.2 and your temps should be around 76-78

reptiguy420
09-25-04, 06:50 PM
i had some piranahs awhile back and fed them pinkies....just my 2 cents

zero&stich
10-18-04, 03:41 PM
What kind of piranha is it? If its a black piranha you can only house it alone! Notthing, meaning no other fish can be put with it or everything will be killed cept the black piranha itself.

A fish diet is VERY VERY bad diet. Best thing for any species is to get get them acclimated to a pelleted diet. But if there red bellies, yes they hunt in packs of 3 or more and like someone suggested like dim water. Floating plants can help. They really are a shy species unless feeding.

In the past, I've seen piranha's take to Cichlid pellets, squid, krill, earthworms, freeze dried whole shrimp all tied down to a rock with a rubberband cept the pellets.

Also for future reference, RB piranha's get 12-13 inches and are messy feeders often leaving chunks of food under the gravel so over filteration and 10% water changes once a week is my opinion to keep ammonia and nitrite levels low.

~How long are your piranha(s) and what kind? Most pet stores have a selection in according to a specfic size, L,M,S-Coments, Tuffies(rosies), Guppies. If you just got it, give it a few days to settle in. Make sure water quality is 100% and temps are in the high 70's. I'm guessing your tank already went through the Nitrogen Cycle before putting the piranha in? If not, be contious of over feeding.

Sry for long post and added info prolly as which you already know :)
Have fun! There an underated species of fish.

chong_python
10-18-04, 03:57 PM
7.2?
i used to have piranha, and if im not mistaken they need their water to be a tad acidic.
if 7 is basic ( normal )
6.8 would be ideal...correct me if im wrong

zero&stich
10-18-04, 05:00 PM
I believe 6.8-7.0 is ideal since they are an Amozonian fish. But fish can adapt to a fairly wide range. They may not breed or show off their best colors in this case a higher pH.

Buddha
11-14-04, 02:57 AM
my piranha only ate in the dark or should I say night time

BoidsUnlimited
11-19-04, 05:58 PM
Mine also prefers to eat at night time.

I offer him goldfish and minnows.

I usually throw in about a dozen...he eats them throughout the week.

blazinreps
12-05-04, 08:35 PM
I have to reds andiv been feeding them turtle pellts and scraps of meat and they eat just fine a lill shy tho but when they see the food they go for it.

Rikki
12-20-04, 11:46 PM
They do best in groups, they are highly stressed with alone.