PDA

View Full Version : Cage Opening - Top or front opening?

Edwin
10-16-02, 06:17 AM
Just curious to see which type of openings people prefer on their terrariums and why.

I personally prefer front opening because it is easier for me to clean the cage floor without having to stoop. Front openings also allow me to stack my cages to save space.

Scotty Allen
10-16-02, 07:35 AM
Another good reason to not have top opening cages is that front opening doors do not fall down and clunk you on the head.

silke
10-16-02, 08:11 AM
I only have top openning...just worked out that way
if i had any front openning then i could compare and have an opinion
yes Scotty...finally something I do not have an opinion on

LOL

:)

Greg West
10-16-02, 08:16 AM
I've heard that reaching into a cage from above is more stressful for a reptile, but i don't know if that theory has any merit or not. I prefer the front opening cages when you have the cage on a stand as it is easier to access fronm the front. A top opening cage might be more practical if the cage is on the floor.

Just my opinion

Greg

PoiSoNouS
10-16-02, 10:41 AM
Im so small.. I prefer front opnening cages.. or I have to climb... :(

Quervo
10-16-02, 12:25 PM
As Greg said .. reaching in from the top can stress a snake more (the theory is .. a lot of their natural enemies are birds and attack from above). The biggest problem with top opening cages is heat and humidity loss, it is much easier to regulate humidity with a front opening setup.

shimbathesnake
10-16-02, 12:31 PM
I use front opening, I would take in into account what Quervo has posted.

another useful thing with front opening is you can stack stuff on top!

Clem

reverendsterlin
10-16-02, 12:35 PM
front opening for stacking

lance
10-16-02, 01:01 PM
front opening for ease of cleaning

Bryan Self
10-16-02, 01:39 PM
Front opening. Need to stack cages for space.

Kurzix
10-16-02, 05:46 PM
FRONT OPENING RULES

TOP OPENING SUCKS (but is cheaper!)

Anyways lets see you lift Fluffy the 22 foot 310lb retic out of a top opener lol no thanks!

Lisa
10-16-02, 08:28 PM
We have both, it's not the easiest thing to reach into a top opening 100G tank nor is it the easiest thing to secure. we're thinking of flipping the 100G on it's side and building a different sort of door for it.

how ever top opening tanks can be had for 1/3-1/2 the cost of a front opening.we've stacked both front and top opening tanks

Jeff_Favelle
10-16-02, 09:12 PM
If I had cages that were top-opening, I'd need a football field to house them all!!!!! Could you imagine the waste of space by having cages that opened from the top?? Yikes!

JIMI
10-17-02, 01:10 AM
i prefer front opening

JIMI
10-17-02, 01:11 AM
i have a front opening and plan to stack them... thats why i designed them front opening!

JIMI
10-17-02, 01:13 AM
one more lol... since i made one enclosure with the opening folding down (absolute best for space saving)... the next enclosure is going to be one that completey comes off... like a loose hinge on the bottom with a locking top. just as effective as anything else, but saves space, and prevents me from stepping over any doors. i can take it off and place it somewhere til i'm done. cleaning is a breeze too

jason h
10-17-02, 02:51 PM
lol kurzix!!! let see ya lift fluffy from a front opener LOL!!!!!!:confused:

Kurzix
10-17-02, 04:28 PM
Jason, well it'd be easier from a front opener wouldn;t it? LOL

jason h
10-17-02, 06:11 PM
lol I think the crane can be hooked up easier from a top opener hehehe;)

Syst3m
10-18-02, 04:15 AM
Jason But I think Kurzix could be eaten easier from a front opener wouldn't you agree?

jason h
10-18-02, 06:49 AM
lol :grab: :confused:

Linds
10-18-02, 09:32 AM
I definitely prefer front-opening. With many animals in a small space its the only option. I also find it ALOT easier to work with animals in a front-opening enclosure. It can be difficult, and quite risky retrieving a 14' snake from a top-opening enclosure :eek:.

Syst3m
10-18-02, 05:17 PM
Oh forgot. Front slide opening is my preference.

Twisted
11-04-02, 12:55 PM
Front opening it is easier to clean to stack and it does not cause the reptile stress.

Shane Tesser
11-20-02, 08:35 AM
I currently only have top opening aquariums....i have not yet found a front opening one....but then again i think it might be hard to keep a couple of hundred gallons of water in place when i open the front each time to clean...j/k :D :) ;)

tightsqueeze
11-22-02, 06:39 AM
it is alot less stressful if you approch a snake on his/her level ....especaily if its hungry...lol

Dom
11-22-02, 07:14 AM
I have all front opening as well on my costum cages .. efficeint on space .. I personally HATE sliding doors if you are using a substrate either than newspaper .. the substrate gets in you rail and makes u a litle more mad everyday until u take a sledge hammer to your cage cause it won't close lol Don't ask..

Top doors is almost a must for tanks unfortunetly but I don't see any reason for top opening on a custom built ..

Back opening is an option although a back door generally means u have no window on the door 9if u do then why not make it front opening???)- wich means u do not see the animal .. which means u need a front and back room to see and handle the animal ... over all, not efficient on space and a risk if you are dealling with animals that are not so friendly ..

mahhhh .. Just my 0.02$

I felt like ramblimg

Dom

Kathy
11-22-02, 12:21 PM
I use regular tanks on their side with locking screen "lids" The lids now open like a garage door or trunk of a hatchback car, I can stack stuff on top, easier for humidity, and the snakes have more floor room :) That and it didn't cost me a cent more hehe

Edwin
11-22-02, 05:50 PM
Kathy, thats a very innovative idea. A friend of mine has his glass aquariums on shelves, and it is a pain for him to open and close them every day. I will tell him your idea.

jason h
11-23-02, 08:38 AM
ya kathy i did the same thing with one of mine works pretty good too

mykee
11-24-02, 07:35 PM
I have a top opening 75 gallon enclosure. Wish I could just turn it over, what a pain in the butt!!