PDA

View Full Version : Regurgitation ::help::

Sunrunner
10-14-02, 10:02 PM
Hi there I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I am having a have a wee baby ball that when I feed her she pukes back up her food again, I have been checking the temp's and it is warm enough she just doesnt seem to keep it down.
Any help would be welcome I have tried everything now so maybe what i dont know will help
Thanks alot

sSNAKESs.com
10-15-02, 04:15 AM
You should probably have her checked for parasites...

raebug2000
10-15-02, 06:56 AM
and dont handle her for 2 days after feeding.......if she has puked it up they need some time to let their tummy settle...give a few days before you try again.

Sunrunner
10-15-02, 08:58 AM
Thank you for the help do balls just do this sometime? I have had many but never had them do this... I have heard of something called regurgitation syndrom has anyone had this happen to them?
Thanks again

Jeff_Favelle
10-15-02, 09:20 AM
Something must be really wrong because Balls are not ones to usually regurge. I've actually never even heard of a Ball regurging. Check the temps man. 75F on the cold end and 90F on the hot end. Make sure the snake can get away from the heat! Keep the humidity above 60% as this thing is probably dehydrated now.

shimbathesnake
10-15-02, 09:48 AM
I would take it to a vets,

One thing it could be is the food being too big? how big is the snake? and what are you feeding it?

Can you try 2 items half the size of the one big item you may be giving it?

Clem..

Sunrunner
10-15-02, 10:03 AM
I was thinking that it might be the food being a little to big I am going to try smaller but am unsure how long to wait

Pixie
10-15-02, 10:21 AM
Wait a week before your next feeding attempt and then just give it a single small meal and see if your snake keeps it down. If that works good then you can give two small food items at the next feeding.

A trip to the vet to have a stool analysis would be a very good idea.

Sunrunner
10-15-02, 12:07 PM
going to try a smaller food doesnt work off to the vet we go....
Thanks everyone

Corey Woods
10-15-02, 04:29 PM
Sunrunner,

It is most likely a stomach parasite that is causing the reguring. One of them being Giardia which is a nasty stomach parasite that eats away at the lining of the stomach wall. Once the snake eats it causes the acid in the stomach to get stirred up thus slashing into the cuts in the stomach. This causes the stomach to become irriated and thus the snake pukes. Personally, I would worm your snake with both Panacur and Flagyl (which treats Giardi infections) to get rid of any nasty parasites in your snakes body. If you have a chance bring in a stool sample to the vets to be checked for parasites (this will save you a second trip). Pick up the crap and put it in a moist papertowel and then put that in a ziplock if you don't have the proper solution to bring it to the vets in. Also, give your snake atleast 1-2 weeks after a puking before you feed them again. This will allow your snakes mouth and troat to heal and stomach to settle.

Hope this helps,
Corey

Sunrunner
10-15-02, 08:53 PM
I want to thank you all for the help I appricate it very much i really want to know all i can about my snakes without making any mistakes, I have the medication you mentioned any suggestions on giving it? Does anyone know how they get these parasites?
Thanks again

Sunrunner
10-25-02, 09:45 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my question i think i might have been giving her to big of a meal, I fed her something smaller and she kept it down!!
Thanks again to all :D

Pixie
10-25-02, 11:27 PM
Great news! I hope she keeps eating well and keeping her food down. You must be quite relieved!