PDA

View Full Version : incubation time?

Clownfishie
10-13-02, 09:45 AM
What's the average incubation time for BP eggs? And how long after copulation does the female lay them?

Jen

Markus Jayne
10-13-02, 10:06 AM
Incubation time at 89 degrees F is usually 54 - 58 days.

Copulation has nothing to do with the timing of ovulation or egg laying. In other words, there is no set time between the two. Although copulation is a good trigger early enough in the season to trigger a female to start growing and keep growing folicles.

Egg laying can only take place after your female has ovulated. The male must have been bred to her at least 3 weeks prior. Many breeders, including myself, start breeding now and continue to do so until ovulation occurs.

Ovulation for us begins in February and onward.

Good luck.

Mark

Clownfishie
10-13-02, 10:21 AM
Gotcha :)

Thanks for the help Mark -- I actually don't even have a BP yet -- hoping to get my first one from Jeff when I move out to Victoria at the end of the month :) (I can't wait to meet his gorgeous pastel male from you in person!) After checking out your site though, and seeing all the exciting new morphs that people are working with, I can definitely see myself starting to work with these guys when the time comes... Just thought that I'd do a bit of preliminary reserach :)

Thanks again!