PDA

View Full Version : 2004 World Cup of Hockey

proud2bcanadian
09-01-04, 09:13 PM
I know that this doesn't have anything to do with herps, but I just was wondering who was supporting who in the World Cup of Hockey.

ilia
09-01-04, 09:27 PM
I'm going for Russia but if they get knocked out then Canada all the way. Canada has an amazing team this year, I watched their two games and they are playing magnificent hockey.

Ilia

Enter
09-01-04, 09:30 PM
canada

Big_V
09-01-04, 09:47 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GO CANADA GO !!!!!!!!!
.......lets also hope this isnt the only hockey we see this year.

proud2bcanadian
09-01-04, 10:03 PM
Agreed (Big_V). Though I have heard reports that if the NHL and the NHLPA don't make a decision, the owner's of the NHL teams might start a new league. Which has an advantage and disadvantage. The advantage being that we will have our game back; and the disadvantage being that all of the stats from previous years, and all of the great players from many years ago may be forgotten.

TheRedDragon
09-02-04, 12:45 PM
It better be Canada. :)

BoAddict
09-02-04, 08:05 PM
proud2bcanadian -

there is already another league set to launch this year
the WHA

its funny how monopolies eventually kill themselves

as for the owners forming there own league how could they possibbly do that ? do you think any of the nhl players would actually sign with that ?wouldnt that be like biting the hand that feeds you? ( by that i mean going against your union)

proud2bcanadian
09-02-04, 08:10 PM
I'm not really sure of anything there. lmao, I'm just passing along rumours that I've heard. Sorry for any misunderstandings, but as long as there's some form of hockey next year, I'll still be happy :p

Matt_K
09-02-04, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by BoAddict
as for the owners forming there own league how could they possibbly do that ? do you think any of the nhl players would actually sign with that ?wouldnt that be like biting the hand that feeds you? ( by that i mean going against your union)

The League would be called, 'NHL Too' or 'NHL 2'.. The whole idea behind it is to NOT have NHL players signed.. The only ones that WOULD be able to sign, would be unrestricted free agents.. Otherwise, it would be a league full of OHL, ECHL and so on players..

As far as the WHA, it's a joke. It will never get off the ground and everyone know's it.. Doug Gilmour got drafted in the 7th round of the WHA Draft..

-Matt

CDN-Cresties
09-02-04, 08:30 PM
Canada all the way!

Will
09-02-04, 08:39 PM
I pretended to not care. For the last few weeks, when someone asked me anything regarding the tourney, I said "I don't care, I'm not watching"... I was 'protesting' over the whole CBA mess and really wanted to stick to my guns...

And then the d@mn game started, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't change the channel...

Curse my Canadian blood, I say... :(

We are getting the AHL here next year, NHL or no NHL, I am stoked to see that.

proud2bcanadian
09-02-04, 08:52 PM
lol, Will. It's irresistable, eh?
I want to present everyone with two petitions:
http://www.petitiononline.com/RemoveGB/petition.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/nostrike/petition.html

One is to remove Gary Bettman, who we all know has done a (cough) good (cough) job; and the second is to try and encourage the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Please sign them.

Thank you,

Will
09-02-04, 08:56 PM
*sniff* I tried, I really did...

BoAddict
09-03-04, 01:35 AM
unrestricted free agents or not they are still a part of the nhlpa
which is there union , to sign with another league started up by the owners would still be shooting them selves in the foot.

how many years has it taken the nhlpa to get to where it has ? you think any players would risk that?

Matt_K
09-03-04, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by BoAddict
unrestricted free agents or not they are still a part of the nhlpa
which is there union , to sign with another league started up by the owners would still be shooting them selves in the foot.

Tell that to players like Mikeal Renberg and Robert Reichel.. Once their contracts are up, they're free to go where they like.. This is why we see many players head over to Europe to play, THESE players would be eligable to play in the 'NHL Too'.. Once your contract is up you don't belong to any team, therefore, are considered un-employed...

BoAddict
09-03-04, 09:25 AM
but the teams in europe are not owned by the people that made you unemployed.

i think you mis read what i was trying to say

what im saying is if bill is your boss and the contract is up for the whole company and you all make lots of money that youve worked hard for in previous contracts.

now bill is trying to break the union by offerin reduced wages but the workers are having no part of, so bill is just gonna say screw it i will just start a new factory and hire you all back at min. wage

hope you understand that

i never said that there was a problem going and signing in another league just 1 that would be started by the owners of the nhl

if there is no nhl this year it will be because of the owners.

Matt_K
09-03-04, 11:56 PM
I understand what you're saying.. However, I never said that I thought they would sign.. The NHL players have pretty much all said they would never play for it.. I can't say I blame them.. The owners will NEVER be able to put the same product on the ice or a5ses in the seats.. It will never fly..

As far as players signing with Euro teams.. I think that's CRAP.. For instance, Joe Thornton who makes 5+ Million a season just signed with Davos.. So, he's going to take the spot of someone making MAYBE $80,000/season and why?? So he can buy a new car?? They don't need the money, they're just signing over there cause they're greedy.. I find it hard for them to justify taking somoene else's job from them..

Matt
09-04-04, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Matt_K
As far as players signing with Euro teams.. I think that's CRAP.. For instance, Joe Thornton who makes 5+ Million a season just signed with Davos.. So, he's going to take the spot of someone making MAYBE $80,000/season and why?? So he can buy a new car?? They don't need the money, they're just signing over there cause they're greedy.. I find it hard for them to justify taking somoene else's job from them..

I couldnt agree more, these guys should stick with the rest of their players. I cant stand how players like thornton are making contracts that say "I'll play with you until my league resumes" then they just abandon that team to go back to the NHL....

latazyo
09-04-04, 08:48 AM
I'm guessing that a European league will help them stay a little more on their toes and sharp than the All City Men's league would

anyways....who else voted for USA? I thought I'd be the only one (and, no I don't really think they'll win, but we need to support our own all the time)

Matt_K
09-04-04, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by latazyo
I'm guessing that a European league will help them stay a little more on their toes and sharp than the All City Men's league would

Nothing is stopping these TEAMMATES from getting together 2-3-4 times a week, renting the ice and keeping in shape that way.. The sad thing is, a lot of these players that are going over to Europe to play, are taking jobs of guys they KNOW.. Joe Thornton, Rick Nash and countless others have played with MANY of the guys that play in Europe right now.. They basically taking thier friends jobs for a couple months.. Oh, and their friends, they don't get paid if they don't play..

Allbuds29
09-04-04, 03:32 PM
Thank God for this tournament ... Go Canada Go... just love seeing Mario doing so well... not to mention all the young talent surrounding him lol

proud2bcanadian
09-08-04, 05:16 PM
Canada vs. Slovakia is coming on in 10 minutes. Hope everyone is watching :p

!!!GO CANADA GO!!!

joeysgreen
09-22-04, 04:31 AM
Yup Canada won, the nhl is a bust, and i'll be watch'n the roadrunners this fall. hmm, if the nhl collapses after an extended lockout, can i have the Stanley Cup?
Since we're talk'n hockey here, just thought I'd throw out my opinion. I think that if player contracts were based on team wins and loses, then on the theory that a team gets more money if it wins, then the players will be paid on their performance and not on their reputation. Plus I think the players would work a lot harder and we'd end up with a more exciting game.
Now back to herps, I hope to see a bunch of you at the CARCNET conference in Edmonton this weekend :)