PDA

View Full Version : Shed

SilverTongue
10-12-02, 07:41 PM
Is it just my bloodred that has trouble shedding or am i not alone in this?? His cage mates are just fine. THey are all '02 so dont freak out hehe.

Simon
10-12-02, 10:16 PM
Well maybe it's just that your bloodred wants a higher humidity level....that's it...

try soaking it in luke warm water for at least 15 min and the old skin should come off easily...

my bloodreds, pewters, amel bloodreds are all doing fine during shedding...no problems at all.....so I wouldn't think that it's bloodred's fault...LOL......

Good Luck and Happy Herping!!

SilverTongue
10-12-02, 10:35 PM
hehe ok now I feel bad :(

Lisa
10-12-02, 11:19 PM
when my corns crawl out of their skin it's like a ghost of a snake is left behind, it's like a perfect snake.

what levels of temperture and humidity do you have

sophia
10-12-02, 11:33 PM
Hey Silver,

Are ya usin' humidity boxes in your enclosures? We have found these to be the ticket on all of our babies... just take a baby wipes box for the small ones... cut or burn a door hole in the bottom on one end and line the floor with moist paper towels... then ya just look in there if ya can't see em'... that's where ours hang out all the time... especially while they're in shed.

We just got a perfect shed out of a yearling snow... he always has a perfect shed since we put in those boxes. But, not before that...

Jon

SilverTongue
10-13-02, 01:23 AM
Good Ider Jon I havnt thought of that. Though my bloodred is the onlyone who has problems shedding I will start using humidity boxes. How do you keep them humid? Just wet the papertowls every day??

sophia
10-13-02, 08:09 AM
Yep, we just check em' periodically... when they are IN shed... we check them quite a bit all day. Sometimes it helps to line the bottom with a couple layers of newspaper and then the paper towels.. seems to hold the moisture longer... Our Columbian had her first shed this morning.... it came out perfect like the others... Nose tip to tail...

You have a Blood Red? I am so envious. I love those buggers...

Jon

Katt
10-13-02, 08:38 AM
You have baby snakes housed together?

We keep the babies seperate cuz they are more likely to eat each other as babies than as adults. Have you seen pics of corns that have eaten each other? It's GROSS! And they often die. Plus it's easier to monitor them individually. What if one regurg's? How are you going to tell who did it?

sophia
10-13-02, 08:47 AM
Yes we do. Never had a problem. But we do feed them separately. And we feed often enough that they don't get hungry, every four days for babies. Every five for juveniles. Our breeder does the same thing. He has well over 500 - upwards to 1000 snakes at any given time, he also has no problem and has had over 30 years with reptiles.

The only baby snakes that we have kept strictly apart are Kings & Milks. We 'know' they'll eat each other.

Usually when you have a case of corns eating each other - what you have is lazy husbandry. Ours are monitored all day long, every day. And their schedules are kept up with to a fault. Sometimes when you see a case of a corn eating another corn - it's an idiot that fed them while they were together, because they will fight over the same food item no matter how many food items are in the cage. So they will do fine - if you pay attention.

On a regurg. if you pay close enough attention to your babies - you can tell which one regurged, by the slightly emaciated appearance. It just depends on how much attention you're willing to pay. Feeding only while someone is present and can watch as well as return several times during the day, doing chores and checking... will keep them from re-digesting a nasty regurged food item.

Jon & Tay

SilverTongue
10-13-02, 01:29 PM
I compleatly understand the fear of eating eachother. I had one of my baby kings eat a sibling before I had the chance of seperating them. But as Jon and Tay have mention. Most of the cannibleisms(sp) between cornsnakes are due to group feeding and or placing snakes of two extream different sizes together. Sure I just could be explaining my way out of it, but keep this in mind. http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/cannibal_corn_pic_and_story.htm If it is going to happen...then it is going to happen