PDA

View Full Version : Light fixture guards

Edwin
10-10-02, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy something like this? Or does anyone have guides on making one.. I suck at building stuff.

Thanks in advance!

sSNAKESs.com
10-11-02, 06:41 AM
you make them out of hardware cloth... you buy it at home depot and bend it into a square and use wire to hold it together...

rocket
10-21-02, 03:12 AM
here in australia we go to the hardware store and buy snake proof wire. then you can either bend it yourself or take it to a plumber or sheetmetal worker and tell him what size you want it and they fold it up on a hand bender. it should only cost a couple of dollars tops. i made some up for my cage it is the one in the post under sorry try again.

lance
10-21-02, 08:37 AM
but what i don't get is does'nt the wire heat up macking it a danger to
just curious

Edwin
10-21-02, 01:53 PM
Rocket, thanks for the information. I tried bending it myself, but it looks lopsided and crappy. I think I have a friend who owns a hand bender, I may go over to his place and make it there. Or maybe I need a bending robot like in Futurama. :)

You can actually ask for snake proof wire at hardware stores in Oz? If I did that here in Canada, I would get weird looks.

Thanks, mate!

rocket
10-21-02, 05:28 PM
well actually edwin i get strange looks too because i tell them i want to keep snakes in, not out. LOL. most people are terrified of snakes here because of the terrain and the fact that they are so poisonous. you usually dont see them until it is too late. and in reply to your question lance what i usually do is make sure there is a bit of space all the way round for airflow. this generally allows enough for cooling of the wire. i also set my thermostats at about 26 degrees C and the basking spot is about 34 degrees C. so it never gets hot enough to burn the snake. sorry but i dont know what these temps are in fahrenheit. rodney.

Syst3m
10-21-02, 07:31 PM
Edwin, you could use a good edge of a work table to bend it, thats all I do. They come out very nice.

Edwin
10-22-02, 06:01 AM
Syst3m, that's exactly what I used, and do they look pathetic. Guess it takes skill ;)

lance
10-25-02, 04:12 PM
thanks for the info rocket