PDA

View Full Version : need enclosure advice

Dunner
10-10-02, 05:39 PM
Hey, sorry, this will be a pretty simple question for most of you, sorry for my stupidity, i'm constructionally challenged i guess, anyways i was just looking for some advice on going about making 2 cages, 1 on top of the other, about 6X2X2 or a little bigger, for a burm, and the other for a retic (when i finally get my retic) anyways just a little advice, i've never made an enclosure before, thanks a bunch

evan

Syst3m
10-10-02, 06:05 PM
What would you like to know. The best advice I can give you for any cage that large is SUPPORT.... I don't know how many cages that stack on one another where the bottom or tops just give out due to not being properly supported. Be prepared for the weight of the enclosures and the weights of the snakes too.

If you can get a little more specific on what you would like to know. Also have you looked into purchasing vision cages? You might be better suited with a good 8x4x1 vision cage. And it might not be much more expensive then a custom built.

Dunner
10-10-02, 06:12 PM
hey sys, well most of the materials, well the glass and that stuff i already have, i would just have to get the wood, whats the best way of supporting cages like that? also, i was thinking about vision cages, i love the look of them, how much would one of those 8' dealies go for? the problem is, i'm from pei, i have no idea where to get vision cages, thanks
evan

Big Mike
10-11-02, 08:17 AM
I'm no expert on big snakes but if your going to build enclosures why not build them big enough for the adult size of the snake? Again, I'm no expert but 6'x2'x2' sounds a little small for a burm let alone a retic.

Dunner
10-11-02, 04:22 PM
actually, it's funny you should mention that mike, i was thinking htere last night, i would go 8X3X3, see the cage size doesn't have to be excessive in my case, i have a spare room with a few big trees and a pool, and i'll be alternating between the 2 snakes, the cages are just basically for confinement, and for sleeping, oh well, so any actually building ideas would be great, this may be a dumb question, but when you have the 2 cages stacked, where is the best place to have the heat lamp for the bottom cage, thanks
evan

jason h
10-12-02, 05:27 PM
i think i would use heat tape or uth rather than a heat lamp

Dunner
10-13-02, 12:07 PM
know anywhere in the maritimes, or well just anywhere you can order some good heat tape, it's weird but you can't buy it on prince edward island

Big Mike
10-15-02, 08:51 AM
You can't buy it in Canada so don't feel excluded out there on PEI. Try beanfarm.com they say it's a great place to buy heat tape.

Dunner
10-15-02, 07:53 PM
excellent, thanks a lot

Syst3m
10-15-02, 10:36 PM
As far as support goes. It's all in the design. The biggest failure I see is people who put 4 corner legs on their cages thinking the cage will support itself. Usually all you need is a good full bottom support that goes all the way around the cage or a cage that is designed to sit directly on the ground. If stacking comes into play then support is crucial. Sometimes a center suppor that spans the middle for larger cages from front to back is necessary too. That will help prevent sagging.