PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle Pickiness?

rattekonigin
10-09-02, 07:18 PM
I changed the water bottle that I used with my boy rat about 3 days ago and I went in to check on the rats today and I noticed that he hadn't drunk one sip, it was still full to the brim, not even air bubbles at the top...since it had been 2-3 days he was visibly dehydrated, I gave him some pedialyte and changed his water bottle back to the old one and he's better now, drinking fine...but I am quite puzzled as to why he wouldn't drink from the other bottle...I checked for any blockages and there weren't any, and I can't find anything wrong with the bottle...has anyone had an experience like this? Very odd...

casacrow
10-09-02, 09:13 PM
There may have been to much of a vacum type of situation created by having no air in the bottle. Try not filling the bottle completely full. I have had this problem with some mason jars that I put valves in to use as waterers. Let us know how it works out.

Linds
10-09-02, 09:24 PM
I got a bunch of faulty hagen bottles a while back. The reason the water level wasn't going down was because they couldn't get the water out. Not sure what was causing it, tried half full bottles, tried filling it all the way, tried angling them different. Ended up having to get new bottles.

I'd be more inclined to believe it was a faulty bottle, rodents aren't fussy where they get their water......