PDA

View Full Version : any harmful in ontario?

Bartman
08-13-04, 12:06 PM
I am going to my cottage on the 20th-27th and just wanted to know if there was any species that I should be worried about. For them either being poisonous or harmful or anything. Also what species might I run into that will be aggressive just so I know if I am going to get struck at :) I will take tons of pictures.

Last year, before I was really into field herping, I ran into a ton of frogs and a garter snake that was to quick for me to grab. I also didn't know if it was harmful so I didn't want to grab it. Now I have a field guide and will be able to identify anything I find.

Thanks!

CanadianJackson
08-13-04, 12:10 PM
Depending on where your cottage is there are rattlesnakes thats about the only thing I'd be worried about. Most northern brown water snakes are pretty fond of biting.
Good luck in your searching.

Bartman
08-13-04, 12:12 PM
I believe its somewhere near Muskoka Lake.

CanadianJackson
08-13-04, 12:24 PM
Then yeah, theres a possibility there could be some rattlers though not very likely.

ib_inked
08-13-04, 12:34 PM
There is little to no chance that you will run into a rattler there. Lots of other interesting species though.
And yeah, I grew up catching all kinds of snakes in the wild and have probably been bit about 100 times by waternakes. It doesn't really hurt, but they are mean little buggers.

CanadianJackson
08-13-04, 12:39 PM
also keep an eye out for five lined skinks, they're pretty common around there.

Bartman
08-13-04, 01:15 PM
Thanks! :D

CamHanna
08-13-04, 01:58 PM

BigBADace
08-15-04, 04:32 PM
I remember one year i went on a camping trip to killbear provincial park..on georgian bay, it was awesome...got bit by a garter, northern water snake, and saw a guy catch a massasauga
rattler all in 2 days...wait i also caught some crayfish lol ..good times

seann
08-20-04, 03:44 AM
I have caught a water snake at my buddies dock @ the muskokas and was able to handle it and bring it up to the cottage and show my family, i was surpised that it didn't attempt to bite me, it wraped around me arm and chilled same as the eastern milk i caught by my house in mississauga it didn't bite either, but i guess they all have different personalitys