PDA

View Full Version : Varanus exanthematicus

Slipknot
08-11-04, 10:53 AM
I am looking to acquire a Savannah Monitor in the near future. I have been researching them for about 2 years now and feel I am ready to partake in raising one. Do any of you have any pointers before I make my purchase?:)

beanersmysav
08-11-04, 11:03 AM
My biggest bit of advice to give you is to start with a good sized cage (100/120 gal). I made the mistake of starting with the bare minimum and since have bought 4 cages to accomadate his size and bought those 4 cages with in 2 years. Also it says you own a pair of Savannah's did you already buy them?

Slipknot
08-11-04, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was going to start with a 40B but I'll go larger. And I only own a Garter Snake. The Savannahs are in my wanted list.;)

thunder
08-11-04, 04:04 PM
pointer: dont buy from a pet store. find a breeder. pet store animals are not only less healthy (altho sav are pretty hardy), but the people there wont be able to answer any questions you may have about the animal. also, its best not to support pet stores because of their practices regarding selling animals to irresponsible individuals and giving out false or inadequate info. many of them also buy from wholesalers with less than savory husbandry practices.

beanersmysav
08-11-04, 08:54 PM
I bought my Sav from a petstore and it had to be treated for parasites but other than that thats the only problem i had which isnt very minor but still ive heard worse horror stories. I'd definatly reccomend internet or a breader. If there's any reptile shows near you hit them up because I saw some beautiful Savs for cheap at the reptile show i was at and definatly start w/ bigger than a 40G they outgrow that way to quickly.

Slipknot
08-12-04, 11:47 AM
I was going to buy it from a pet store down here called Patty's Critters. They are VERY knowledgable and thier animals are always in PERFECT health with spotless cages. They are the people that got me into herps and I trust them to provide quality animals. :)