PDA

View Full Version : Pets or Profit

Artemis
07-23-04, 05:20 AM
Curious- reptiles for pets (meaning they are your pets) or for profit (meaning you breed them and dont really "play" with them?

marisa
07-23-04, 09:56 AM
Got a few I consider pets...started out keeping reptiles as just pets...and now I have many I consider for breeding.

I do name all my animals, for breeding or not, because it makes life easier I think :P

Marisa

Bartman
07-23-04, 10:18 AM
I dont think I agree with the options though. I want to breed all my animals but I dont care to make any money...I just love seeing something be born and I did it my self :D

So my choice would be breed, name all of them, but dont care to make any profits. I consider them all my pets. Maybe that was a choice but I couldnt pick it out :p

Invictus
07-23-04, 10:30 AM
Although I am keeping for the purposes of breeding, ALL of my snakes end up becoming my pets. They all have names, mostly for easier identification, so I can say to Erin "Trinity shed today", or "Can you check Faramir's water for me?". But yeah, we have 11 common boas here... am I going to breed all of them? HELL no. Would I ever get rid of them? HELL no! :)

Invictus
07-23-04, 10:31 AM
Actually, I'd like to amend that... I'm not keeping for the purposes of breeding. That's just why I'm keeping DOZENS of snakes (maybe hundreds someday.) :D

snakegal12345
07-23-04, 11:04 AM
I treat my leo like another one of the family and I spent 50 bucks the other day on stuff for his enclosure ( parents weren't to thrilled.)

Artemis
07-23-04, 01:14 PM
hahaha i didnt mean strictly for profit. I meant like do you purchase snakes as a hobby, like to study and breed, not necessarily like your making mad money or anything, just that you dont think of them as "pets." Having only one, he is a "pet" to me like my housecats are, though obviously I treat him very differently and respect his needs. I do croon at him and tell him he is "such a good snake" and stuff. What made me ask was the handling poll that I believe Linds did, because a large number of people said they almost never handle, and I wondered how many people thought of them as pets versus business and research! Thanks for voting!

Art

meow_mix450
07-23-04, 01:25 PM
started off with as a pet then wanted to breeding to the experience not the profit, but they are still my pets

Meow

lakeridgekennel
07-23-04, 02:49 PM
We have a rule in the house about reptiles they have to pay for themself and food. All my reptiles are pets and i love them all but some arn't named because i can't remeber alot of the names but my favs are named and are part of the family.
Sean

lostwithin
07-23-04, 10:45 PM
Hmmm, every one of my animals are pets.
But at the same time they are pets that I enjoy studying and learning about and I do have a few breeding projects going simply for the experience some of the young will remain with me such as any offspring I get out of my 1.2 PTS , but with my something like me common boas and offspring will be sold because I could not possibly keep them all. And the money made from that will go towards paying for the animals I do keep as pets. So which category do I fall under ha ha??

Devon

Mike177
07-24-04, 12:13 PM
Well for me i got the snake as a pet because i was interested it them, witch leaded it breeding to make money to help support the snakes that i already have. but i love all my snakes, even the ones that give me the distict imprestion that they dont return that love.

lolaophidia
07-24-04, 12:43 PM
I don't think of my snakes as "pets" in the normal sense. To me a pet is an animal that gives and recieves affection ie. my cats are pets. I do enjoy observing them, primarily their behaviour facinates me, but like a tank of tropical fish- they aren't pets. No names, since they won't come when called. They are what they are (and I wouldn't like them so much if they were something else!) and I appreciate them for that. I don't expect companionship or deep philosophical revalations from them. They're very interesting, beautiful animals and I enjoy raising and breeding them.

Melly18
07-24-04, 12:51 PM
All my snakes and reptiles are pets. I do plan to breed a few although it's not my priority. I enjoy keeping and learning more about them :D but hey making a profit off breeding them is always a plus!

mikegarvey
07-25-04, 11:38 AM
I think that a snake should be left to go about it's daily life as un disturbed as possible. I do from time to time handle my snakes 'debone, Cube and Ice' but I like to let them be.

mikegarvey
07-25-04, 11:42 AM
Forgot to mention my babies, I have a oskeetee phase Corn apprx two years, a snow corn called Ice that is a yearling, and the pick of the bunch is Debone. Who dissappeared out of his vivarium in November, and turned up in the garden in May, so I took him in a beautiful amelanistic corn.

CamHanna
07-28-04, 11:39 PM
I purchase snakes primarly as 'pets' but I justify purchase with the profit objective (never really works though).

Linds
07-29-04, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Artemis
Curious- reptiles for pets (meaning they are your pets) or for profit (meaning you breed them and dont really "play" with them?

I didn't vote. All my reptiles are my pets, they are my babies and all get named and a place in my heart, but I breed or intend on breeding almost all of them and generally don't play with them (with the exceptions of the leos that jump on me whenever their enclosures get opened :p, even then it is only a few minutes). I have a fairly large collection, and it will always remain the same - if it ever gets to be any other way then I'm not keeping them for the right reasons. They are living creatures, and I don't want to ever keep them for profit (not that I will turn away any cash I get on their account o>).

herpslave
07-30-04, 12:58 AM
i keep my snakes as my family. my beardies, and leos. Ive spent over one thousand bucks on all of them.... My girlfriend is thrilled. She pays for some stuff too. i pretty much want and intend too breed all of them. For example when i had a Male 3 year old beardie (VIRGIN) bought for 100 bucks, I bought him a 3 year old lady friend 130 bucks. ohyah btw linds your beautiful....;)

ShawnBC
07-31-04, 12:53 PM
I don't have any herp yet, but I guess that if I ever convince my mother to have one, I would probably pet him, until I have to many lol.

reptilesalonica
08-03-04, 06:56 PM
I couldn't vote:( All my herps are pets but I don't like to call them with names. Also, I breed some of them.
~Greg~

hhw
08-03-04, 07:22 PM
To me, a pet is something you study and observe. I do name them, to make them easier to identify, but I don't talk to them. I do enjoy handling them, perhaps you could even say cuddling them, but definitely not in the way most people treat their dogs and cats. I wouldn't say I keep them for profit either, as I am just getting into breeding. The thought of profit is appealing, don't get me wrong, but the main idea is to use the proceeds to cover costs and perhaps get me new ones. If I could trade all offspring for enclosures, feeders, and more herps, I definitely would.