PDA

View Full Version : Pastel infor need (pics would be nice) lol...

Zhakrin
10-01-02, 10:46 AM
hi everyone,

I have been given some conflicting discriptions of Pastels. Could someone please give me the classic tell tale signs to determine if a ball IS in fact a pastel.

I veiwed a couple balls that had some very noticable fading in the black areas and a very high yellow coloration. Wondering if buying them would be worth the mites, LOL. (i hate impulsive buying so thought I would research it quickly, LOL).

thanks guys,
joe

Jeff_Favelle
10-01-02, 06:58 PM
Only way you can truly tell is to breed it with a normal and see the babies. Many people have tried to get a cheap pastel this way, only to have failed. There's only 2 lines out there now, so I highly doubt that you've stumbled across a 3rd with everyone and their dog out there combing the WC Ball Pythons. I'd say skip it and save yourself the money. Buy a KNOWN line.

JamesBryan
10-01-02, 10:01 PM
Here is a pic of a Pastel Jungle.

Pastels will eventually come in many forms. The original two types are the Pastel Jungle (orange/yellow and black with patternless belly) and the Lemon Pastel (yellow/black same belly).

Each successive generation will produce cleaner animals. Then there is the Super Pastel which is a Pastel to Pastel cross.

Pastels are an absolute necessity to produce many of the upcoming designer morphs.

The normal offspring born alongside of Pastels do not carry the Pastel gene, but can carry the two patterns that are genetic. The Jungle pattern and the Banded pattern. I hold back the best normal females along with the Pastel females to breed back to the male Pastels. Those normals should further produce clear Jungle and Banded patterns. So the siblings are underated by some in my opinion.

If you want to work with them, get a male and female if you can swing it. If not, get the male and have about 7 females for him. Not all females will breed each year so you will need more than the standard 5 per male that is recommended. In this way you have a better chance of getting 5 females ovulating each year.

Feed the females as much as they will eat from August on. Three times a week if they will take it.

James Bryan

JamesBryan
10-01-02, 10:03 PM
I am new on this site. The pic didn't come through. Will have to figure out what I did wrong.

Zhakrin
10-01-02, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will hold of and wait till the upcoming shows.

Thx again,
Joseph.

Jeff_Favelle
10-02-02, 06:49 PM
This is an example of the Graziani line of Pastels. From Markus Jayne's stock, 2002. Male.

http://members.shaw.ca/jefffavelle/pastel_heat.jpg