PDA

View Full Version : Begginer...

nouserpif
10-01-02, 09:04 AM
I am going to get a BP for my new HUGE cage, but I don't know much about snakes. I want to get into them, and they told me BPs are good for begginers. Can you tell me some care info on them, and how you keep them?
Thanks,
Dan

Big Mike
10-01-02, 10:02 AM
I would suggest that you don't put a new BP into a "huge" cage. BP's (especially babies) can be shy and may get stressed by a huge enclosure. A 10-gal tank or similar container is good for a baby to a young BP. They will need bigger as adults though. You could use a large enclosure if there are lots of good places to hide.

Ball Pythons are considered by most to be good beginner snakes because they are small (for boids) and usually have a good temperament. They can be frustrating for beginners because of their eating habits or lack there of.

There are lots (and lots) of Ball Python care sheets on the internet. There are really good books too. If you want to get into snakes...that's great, I encourage you to do it. Snakes are great. The most important thing is knowledge and information. You are on the right track by asking questions before hand. Do lots of research and get an enclosure set up and running before bringing a snake home.

It's hard to tell someone "some care info" there is a lot to know. Do some reading and ask some specific questions and there are lots of knowledgeable people here that will be glad to help.

Good Luck :cool:

J.J.
10-01-02, 03:25 PM
Yes, I know of a site called pythonhunter.com, its pretty good, there are MANY more though, also, some great books about BP's are out there in pet stores, good luck, and god bless.

J.J.
10-01-02, 03:26 PM
oops, I didnt see that Mike already mentioned books, oh well.

Linds
10-01-02, 06:37 PM
BP's *can* be good beginner snakes. I like to recommend them as more of a second dnsake than a first. There are many other choices that make better first snakes. Ball stress easily and arent very forgiving in their husbandry. A feeding strike can prove very frustrating to a first time owner.
If you decide on a ball, it would be best to keep it in a smaller enclosure. BP's need to feel especially secure and have a bad track record in large enclosures. If you do, make sure it is filled and packed with things to create many tight-fitting hiding spots.

cash
10-01-02, 07:04 PM
First of all choosing your snake can be difficult if possible ask the pet store if you can see the snake eat before you purcase it ball pythons can often be notorious for hunger strikes but a good feeder will pounce on any rodent that enters the cage. Also a healthy good feeding BP will NOT be skinny look for a large girth.
And check for a snake that is constantly flickering his tounge. As far as the cage is concerned a small 10 gallon will work for a young BP but he will need a larger home eventually and make certain the cage has a UTH (under tank Heater) They are heating pads that stick to the bottom of the cage on the outside of the tank. ALL SNAKES NEED A HEAT SOURCE. artificial sunlight of some kind is also a plus they sell the lamps, bulbs, and UTHs at any decent pet store.
Good Luck on finding your new friend