PDA

View Full Version : Rheostats, and Flex Watt. What to use?

BoidKeeper
09-30-02, 05:03 PM
I have been using rotary dimmer switches with zoo-meds heat pads, human heat pads and dome lights to cut down the power on lights that were getting too hot. I’m finding that they are not always reliable and often shut the heat off all together. I’m looking for alternatives since I’m going to be switching to flex watt exclusively.
Thanks,
Trevor

Syst3m
09-30-02, 07:59 PM
Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again. If you have the money a good proportional thermostat is the best. Other then that just use a dimmer(rheostat). It works great with my flexwatt, takes a few days to get my temps good.

I still dont suggest anything but a proportional, Normal thermostats turn on when the temp is low and off when the temp is reached. Possibly creating a VERY hot spot in your tank.

Proportional on the other hand adjust the current being sent to the heating unit to keep an evens steady temp.

josefg
10-01-02, 04:16 AM
I use a thermostat the automatically shuts off the heat mat when the a certain temperature is reached. But as Syt3m said, proportional thermostat are better but they cost more than the normal ones