PDA

View Full Version : How much do you know about Inclusion Body Disease?

BoidKeeper
06-21-04, 05:26 AM
Referred to by the Boa Constrictor Manual as the AIDS of the snake world. Let’s see what our membership knows about this disease. Maybe as a group we can increase awareness and dispel some myth.
Thanks,
Trevor

thunder
06-21-04, 09:59 AM
oh! i know what this is. i worked taking care of a museum's reptile collection, and their boas, who were siblings, got it. half of them were sick before we could isolate the others. every one who got sick died. we didn't know for sure what was wrong until we did an autopsy of the first to die, but we had a pretty good idea.

BoidKeeper
06-22-04, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know if it can be tested for (post morderm) in Canada?
Cheers,
Trevor

Linds
06-22-04, 03:10 PM
The main test that can be done to help identify the test is a liver biopsy done post-mordem.

There are however, blood tests available that can be done on live animals to help aid in a positive diagnosis, but there is no actual test that identifies the virus itself. However this is still relatively new and most vets do not know that a blood test can be done to help diagnose.

All of the tests can be done in Canada, as long as the vet is familiar with what they are doing. As most of us know, it can be difficult to find a vet that meets those qualifications with reptiles :/

Will
06-28-04, 10:49 AM
Any more info on this...?

Is is mainly limited to Boids...?

What are the signs/symptoms...?

I've never heard of it, but then again I'm relatively new to this game...