PDA

View Full Version : heat tape

nuno
09-28-02, 09:04 AM
Hi evryone, is heat tape safe? I was also told to attach the tape under the melamine tank . I have read how some of you put it inside the enclosure is it safe with the substrate on top ?

Bryan Self
09-28-02, 12:07 PM
I for one will say to never to heat tape in a tank. There is no effective way to seal it. It is very safe to use if done correctly. You will need to give it some space to breath. Otherwise it will get too hot. A 1/8-1/4 in. is all that is necessary. Also make sure to use a thermostat with it.
Good Luck

Linds
09-28-02, 04:46 PM
I agree with Bryan, using heat tape inside the enclosure is too hazardous. How thick is the melamine you are heating? Melamine is pretty thick and may take alot for heat to get through......

reverendsterlin
09-28-02, 07:18 PM
exterior heat-tape and a reo are fine, interior may be different

Syst3m
09-28-02, 07:36 PM
cant us heat tape outside of malamine it will probably not work.
Probably damage the tank too since you wont be able to get the temps high enough through the wood.

build a light fixture into the tank and use a ceramic heat emitter.

lance
09-29-02, 09:44 PM
could you not put the tape between two pieces of slat or glass to heat up in the tank
i've never tried it myself just a thought though

jason h
09-30-02, 12:21 AM
iam trying something new right now i put the heat tape on the inside on the end (not the bottom) and covered it with 1/4 " plexiglass and hooked it up to a household dimmerswitch iam not yet to sure how this will work but at the present time it is working excellent.

Syst3m
09-30-02, 03:39 AM
jason if you seal it inside the plexi with silicon that should be fine actually I was thinking about routing out a channel in the bottom of cages and dropping some acrylic over top of the flex watt.
Then sealing it in the tank with some silicon, I figure that should work great when I'm done. It should be water proof and heat the cage very nicely.