PDA

View Full Version : question about new snake...

DM1975
06-13-04, 02:35 PM
I just purchased my first ball python yesterday. He is 17 1/2 inces long and looks to be in great shape, evevyone says to not touch them for at least a week after bringing them home but he is moving around alot and very curious. I just took him out and handled him for over an hour and he was easy going and did not seem freeked out at all. As I said before he was very curious and wanted to crawl all over me. Is this OK or do I still need to give him a week of solitude?

allamericanPD
06-13-04, 02:47 PM
i have not ever had a problem bringing them home and handling them after i buy them i think that goes with hatchlings but i still never have problems with my hatchling either hope that helps

Artemis
06-19-04, 11:31 PM
I say resist temptation because I honestly believe it makes a difference in the long run. Im sure some BP's can take it- but its best too let them alone because thats how they learn to feel safe, and you cant really tell if it is having an affect on your BP or not until it comes time to try and feed it. A lot of people on this board with new snakes have ignored this advice from many experienced keepers who post here, and handle anyways... Then the next posts you see from them are "why wont my snake eat?" The answer at that point is obvious. Only when they feel safe (and their other husbandry requirements are met) will they be more likely to feed and shed properly for you. It might not hurt, and it could be fine- but its a better idea not to take that chance. Id leave him alone for a week, keep white paper towels as a substrate, and watch for mites, ticks and any other problems. Once a week has gone by, offer food, and if he refuses, leave him alone for another week and try again. It sucks to have to let them be for a bit in the beggining, but I think it is worth it as more than likely it will help you establish a better, more solid feeding schedule.

Best of luck-

Art

DM1975
06-19-04, 11:34 PM
Thanks, I didnt take him out much and after a week he fed just fine, and on F/T also, a first for him. I talked to the breeder also and found he was captive bred, he is a he, and he is 3 months old... Thanks for all the advise...

Artemis
06-19-04, 11:37 PM
Awesome, congrats! Post some pics if you can =)

Art

DM1975
06-19-04, 11:40 PM
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/5500snake.jpg

mykee
06-20-04, 02:39 PM
I would go one step further and give them two weeks acclimation period to get used to their new sorroundings and environment. Better safe than sorry. Congrats on the eating also!

BoidKeeper
06-20-04, 02:58 PM
What mykee said. And then when you do start handeling him start slow and move up. I don't think I've ever had one of my snakes out for an hour.
Cheers,
Trevor

sapphire_moon
06-20-04, 07:22 PM
ya, the only time I had my snakes out for an hour was when I took them to be sexed.

But what mykee said, give him 2 wks acclimation, try feeding.

PERSONALLY, I never handle my snakes (unless absolutely necessary) until they have ate 4 times for me (not in a row, but week after week).

BoidKeeper
06-20-04, 07:29 PM
That is my rule too. Eat 4 times in a row and defficate once. But then again things are different now and my females only get touched during cleaning.
Cheers,
Trevor