PDA

View Full Version : Retics aggressive in the breeding season?

Nikki Gervais
09-26-02, 01:22 AM
Hey everyone,
I recently heard that mature male retics get aggressive in the breeding season. I have done alot of research on these large snakes and I have never heard of this before.

How does a keeper deal with a large 15ft+ normally placid retic? I have heard horror stories of them so aggressive they have bitten them selves in the process! :(
How could this be prevented? I wouldn't want them to hurt themselves. :(
How long does this phase last and are the females aggressive as well?

Are there any other large species of snake that are aggressive in the breeding season as well?

This is the first time I have heard of this so please excuse my ignorant questions. :dumb:

KolleenJ
09-26-02, 02:59 AM
Hi!!
It is VERY normal and REAL for retics to be aggressive during the breeding season. This is do to the natural combative behavior that occurs with them in the wild. There are just some things you cant breed out of a snake...lol
You just have to use extra caution. I would handle your maels little or none during this time unless they seem OK to you. They can be very dangerous!!Be 100% sure to use your hooks and tongs. As far as them hurting themselves, it is possible from "hitting the glass" and I feel they should be housed in a lower traffic part of the house to help aviod stress and injuries. They do seldom bite them selves on accident, but not often. These snakes are few and far between.

Other snakes, such as burms can also get aggressive during breeding season. My typically totally docile male burm nailed me last season for getting to close to his woman. I also walked by his cage once and he struck at me, somthing he has NEVER done in his life. Last season was his first sexually mature year.

reverendsterlin
09-26-02, 05:00 AM
Few things less fun than being nailed by a large constrictor.

PoiSoNouS
09-26-02, 08:16 AM
oH my...
I never heard of that before too.. thats a good thing to know... :D

Nikki Gervais
09-26-02, 12:26 PM
Thank you for your informative answers KolleenJ! :) But how long does this aggressive phase last and are the females aggressive as well? Thanks! :) :D

KolleenJ
09-26-02, 10:40 PM
My females dont really seem agressive, just more aggro if anything. Females are not the territorial ones like the males but however, they can be a bit testy from time to time. I would definately not say "aggressive" with them, but im sure if you the know the snake well enough, you'll know if you are pushing her buttons:p

Nikki Gervais
09-26-02, 11:46 PM
Thanks KolleenJ! It's funny we mentioned aggressive large constrictors, my burm nailed me on the hand today lol. First time in like 2 1/2 years! She got me so good and the bite was so violent that my thumb feels sprained (sp?) and its all purple. I got a nice row of teeth on my index and my thumb on my right hand! :p Anyone for connect the dots? lol

Anyways, how long will the males be in this aggressive territorial mode?
Thanks!

jason h
09-27-02, 08:21 AM
hehe got pics?:D