PDA

View Full Version : Wall Lizards

Kyle Barker
09-25-02, 10:09 AM
Are there any other populations of European wall Lizards "Podarcis muralis" other than Vancouver Island, BC and in Ohio (somewhere). Also Jeff, have you been out to beaver lake ponds this year? The Bullfrog tadpoles are now little frogs. Very easy to catch and take pics, lots of garters too.

Kyle

nouserpif
10-03-02, 12:03 PM
There are other kinds of lizards here? I thought we just had alligator lizards...
-Dan

Jeff_Favelle
10-03-02, 07:46 PM
But I don't know if they're the European wall lizards Kyle. I think they are the chinese ones (name escapes me right now).

Yeah I caught a HUGE bullfrog at Beaver a couple weeks ago. It was the size of a football man!! They'll be hibernating pretty soon though. The tadpoles will be around all winter though.

Kyle Barker
10-05-02, 12:57 AM
ya we got those two and the western skink on the mainland. i have heard of people finding them just above comox, but i really doudt it.
Jeff, did you got to the ponds by the nuture place? Caught one there that was 9"!!!!!! the noise those guys make is insane. Sounds like a demon or somthing. Also what is the size of a BIG adult red-legged, caught one a week ago that was 4 1/4" SVL. thought it was pretty big.

Jeff_Favelle
10-05-02, 05:25 PM
Red-leggeds can get pretty big too man. I've seen them over 5", approaching 6!!! Way prettier than a bullfrog too!

The bullfrogs are quite noisy when you catch them eh?? the squawk and yelp the whole time. Ha ha, pretty funny.

Alphonzo
10-10-02, 02:39 PM
I know that there are populations of Podarcis muralis, Podarcis sicula and Lacerta viridis in the USA. Don't know exactly where. If there are also populations in Canada...I don't know.
o>

Kyle Barker
10-14-02, 01:48 AM
Yes. I am talking About P.muralis. there is one in cincinaty (cant spell sorry)Ohio and here on VI. any ideas where the P.sicula populations are?

Kyle

josefg
10-14-02, 02:41 AM
In Malta (which is situated just south of Sicily), we have got a species of wall lizard but it's neither P. muralis, nor P. sicula (I can't find the latin name. sorry). If you want to get more information about the Maltese wall lizard, check out <a href="http://www.mepa.org.mt/Environment/ecoseek/Details.asp?ID=5" target="_blank">Maltese Wall Lizard</a>