PDA

View Full Version : I have a Ball Python--Woo Hoo!

Big Mike
09-25-02, 09:34 AM
I got a normal male ball python yesterday from Damien Aube at AK Exotics...check it out
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/295bp03-med.jpg
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/2/295bp01-med.jpg

Big Mike
09-25-02, 09:55 AM
He is a little dark but not as dark as the pictures show

Jeff_Favelle
09-25-02, 10:08 AM
Awesome!! Looks like a beauty!!

:D

Linds
09-25-02, 12:38 PM
Congrats! :)

J.J.
09-25-02, 04:37 PM
Cute! Congrats!

corr
09-25-02, 05:48 PM
Congrats Mike!

sSNAKESs.com
09-25-02, 06:12 PM
very cool!! you will enjoy him! :)

Jeff_Favelle
09-25-02, 06:54 PM
Upon further inspection, keep that thing warm and humid with access to lots of water and food!! It looks dehydrated and underfed. Hopefully it'll come around. With TLC, is SHOULD be ok.

Big Mike
09-26-02, 08:30 AM
Thanks everyone...I know he's a runt of a BP but I will be trying to fatten him up.

Wrath
09-26-02, 03:56 PM
i was going to ask why he was so skinny, but hes cute!

josefg
09-26-02, 04:00 PM
Congrats Mike!!

McPatch
09-26-02, 04:06 PM
Don't worry Mike i have a ball that i got off Damien to.It took about a week of good temp and available water.At the end of the week it ate for me and has been a pig since.

Big Mike
09-26-02, 04:35 PM
Thanks

Big Mike
10-03-02, 03:53 PM
Well it took 3 attempts but he ate a fuzzy one week after I brought him home.

I have never wittnesed a ball eat before so I don't know if this is normal.
He constricted the mouse and pushed it into his mouth with his body...OK that's normal...then when it was in the back of his mouth / front of his neck he lifted his head and neck straight above himself and waived his head around seemingly using gravity to help swallow his prey. This went on for a few minutes...it was very funny but I didn't know if I should be worried or not. The fuzzy was not quite as big around as his body but his neck is significantly smaller than his stomach.

Joe
10-03-02, 04:06 PM
congrats!!

McPatch
10-03-02, 04:18 PM
Good to hear Mike. Told ya it would be about a week

.Dexter.
10-03-02, 05:05 PM
yes Mike thats perfectly normal :)

aaron
10-03-02, 07:35 PM
My ball "stands" up like that too when he swallows, no matter how big or small his prey is!

aaron

Big Mike
10-04-02, 08:12 AM
Just like a little Rory Calhoun...

Thanks

nighter628
10-04-02, 09:07 PM
Yeah, my new ball puts her head end the air when shes eatting, she ate at my first attempt, 2 days after I got her, I was proud hehe.

katey
10-08-02, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Big Mike

He constricted the mouse and pushed it into his mouth with his body...OK that's normal...then when it was in the back of his mouth / front of his neck he lifted his head and neck straight above himself and waived his head around seemingly using gravity to help swallow his prey. This went on for a few minutes...it was very funny but I didn't know if I should be worried or not. The fuzzy was not quite as big around as his body but his neck is significantly smaller than his stomach.

My ball pythons do that to so I wouldn't worry about it, seems to be a normal part of thier swallowing routine :)

kate

Lisa
10-08-02, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Big Mike

that's normal. here's a photo of natasha doing exactly that

http://snakes.lexxdog.com/natasha/rat-2.jpg

Jeff_Favelle
10-08-02, 09:14 PM
Ummm...I hope you mean a fuzzy rat. Because a baby Ball Python can be started on adult mice right away.

Big Mike
10-09-02, 08:09 AM
Well, I have feed him two fuzzy/hopper mice. I will be moving him up to bigger mice as soon as I can. He would not eat frozen or even stunned/fresh killed so I was trying live (just to get him eating). I did not want to give him a live mouse that was to big to handle as he still has a timid feeding response.

Any good tips on getting him on f/t mice?

tex_01
10-20-02, 10:03 AM
looks nice

Jeromerules
01-09-03, 02:49 PM
Nice. I live in edmonton. Is AK exotics a pet store or what?? I would really like to buy a ball but I can't get a hold of damien. I will try again I guess