PDA

View Full Version : Mare bad press

Seanebones
09-25-02, 12:04 AM
Well we are in the news again. I guess it won't be long until they come to take our snakes.....

Read the story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/kr/20020924/lo_krdetroit/worker_who_fed_pups_to_snake_loses_job_at_pound)

Seanebones
09-25-02, 12:08 AM
and this would be the correct link. Got so flustered I screwed it all up:dumb:

The correct link (Sorry) (http://www.freep.com/news/locway/pups24_20020924.htm)

creander
09-25-02, 01:03 AM
what a stupid guy and a stupis reaction off the goverment also

sophia
09-25-02, 08:17 AM
I can see what their problem is, but feel that the charges wouldn't hold much water in court if the attorney cites 'waste of life' in gassing as opposed to how they were utilized as 'food'. I understand the negativity surrounding it since people here in the states keep dogs as pets, but look at the bigger picture where in many countries, humans use dogs and cats as a food source, I fail to see the difference. One could likely argue which is more cruel, gassing or utilizing as food and cite that gassing is wasteful. The big picture however, is that this is just one more idiot that villianized all snake owners in the court of public opinion.

Things like this make us have to work twice as hard to protect our rights and show our responsibility as owners and breeders. It's like the people who get upset because they find out you raise 'bunnies' to feed your snakes! What about hunters who hunt bunnies to eat after the first good frost of the season? Could someone point out the difference to me?

Tay

reverendsterlin
09-25-02, 08:35 AM
I can't believe that woman was so stupid. I can see where pups would be used as a food souce in some cultures but her doing it in front of other employees shows her motive may have been to show off. She deserves the charges IMO. This is why responsible herpers should go to elementary schools and offer to make presentations, set up small booths at fairs, even write positive letters on herptoculture to the editorials in your local newspapers. Discuss the local reptile populations, rodent control, protection of native species. Try to start a local herp society, offer to do a short show at the museun of natural history or another venue that caters to kids. There are many ways to get good publicity that we don't take advantage of, and shock value of negative press will always get a bigger story so overwhelm with many more smaller stories about positive herping.

sophia
09-25-02, 02:56 PM
I agree Rev, it was incredibly stupid, although I have known of people who would respond to free puppy and kitten ads to feed their snakes, but they didn't tell the owners they were doing that, or do it in front of others.

We are thinking of starting a herp society here at the local park where the ranger often educates about snakes. We want to have a 'no fee' group but wonder if folks will be interested in what they don't have to pay for. It's odd, but I've found over the years that folks aren't all that interested in sharing or learning unless they've paid money... Personally, I just want a group of other herp fanatics to hang out with once or twice a month, I get sick of all the yuppie idiot comments about how they're not coming to my house because we have snakes! How frigging rude, I don't particularly care for small dogs either, but I'm not going to be rude enough to say that I'm not coming to your house because you have an ankle biter!

Tay

Seanebones
09-25-02, 10:18 PM
Well this is a tough one for me as well. I do wonder what would be worse though, the gas chamber, and then being wastfully disposed of, or becoming food to sustain another life. I am sure that in some countries they find it strange that we actually eat cows and chickens. I don't know, can't decide.

Seanebones
09-25-02, 10:23 PM
Poll: Could you, would you, or have you fed what other people might consider pets, exp. Cats, Dogs, to your large snake?

SilverTongue
09-25-02, 10:37 PM
The department is planning to broaden its mission of keeping strays and dangerous animals off city streets to include handling them with compassion, West said.

UMMMMM WHY THE F*CK WERNT THEY DOING THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!
I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE STUPIDITY OF PEOPLE. tHOUGH I DO NOT CONDONE THE FEEDING OF PUPPIES TO REPTILES BECAUSE I PERSONALLY LOVE WELL EVERYTHING BUT YUCKY BUGS, AND STUPID PEOPLE!
BUT IT IS REALLY NO DIFFERENT THEN FEEDING IT A BUNNIE OR A RAT OR A GOAT OR WHATEVER. IT IS JUST SOME PEOPLE VALUE THE LIFE OF PUPPIES OVER RATS. I TEND TO AGREE BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. IT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.
YES I AGREE THE B*TCH WAS VERY STUPID 1 FOR FEEDING THE PUPPIES TO THE SNAKE (MY PERSONAL OPINION. DEAL WITH IT!)
2 THE FACT THAT SHE DID THIS INFRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE PROVES THAT THIS IS EITHER A ONGOING THING OR SHE WAS JUST SHOWING OFF!

IF I WAS GOD I WOULD VETO THE HUMAN RACE!:mad:

Seanebones
09-25-02, 11:00 PM
Well said.