PDA

View Full Version : Noise of air pumps

vanderkm
09-24-02, 12:49 PM
I was wondering if there are any brands of air pump that are really more quiet than the others, or if there are any ways to reduce the amount of noise and vibration from these. We are new to fish, and so far this is the only really irritating component of fish keeping. We are running bigger ones currently than the tank sizes require and I wonder if that makes them noisier. Any suggestions appreciated.

Mary v.

Shane Tesser
09-24-02, 03:04 PM
A couple of things can be done. Depending on the type...if you open it, you can tighten and reduce the amount that the rubber diaphragm inside moves....this reduces your output, but as you stated yours was over kill anyway
You can also put them on something like a towel and that seems to help....but that is a bandaid way of going about it. The problem usually occurs because the pump is under too much strain. Even if it is really big and you only have one air stone, it still can be too much sometimes due to the fact that the stone...or tube doesnt allow alot of free flow. These pumps are not extremely strong so when you buy any device for them to work, make sure it is easy to blow into....if you feel no resistance, neither will the pump. There is quiet ones out there, alot advertise as such, but to be honest the true quiet ones dont use a rubber diaphragm, they use leather ones and are very expensive. Big al's sell a similar style and i believe they go from like $250.00-$550.00, so not realistic for the most of us. The only other thing that i can think of is to possible buy a cheap diverter valve and slightly open one tap to let the excess air out...this will save on the back pressure, also, its a good idea to purchase one way check valves...i believe they cost like two bucks and simple go inline on the hose. This helps with the back pressure and ultimately saves wear and tear on the pump....not to mention prevents water from back feeding incase of a power shortage....sorry i ramble, its a bad habit.

vanderkm
09-25-02, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the answers. Great to have your help on stuff like this. I have the backflow check valves, wondered if they were part of the problem. If it is too much pressure, then maybe moving the pump higher relative to the tank would help too, so they don't have to move air over so much height. They are both quite a bit below the tank now. The stones seem to allow good flow of bubbles. Will also try the bleed off valves.

Thanks again,

Mary v.

Shane Tesser
09-25-02, 02:37 PM
Yeah, lol, you must have it above the water line....or at least as high as you can get it. Some can be hung verticle as well off the side of the tank, just make sure yours can or the heat sink will not work and ultimitly it will burn out.

reverendsterlin
09-25-02, 06:30 PM
wow, thanks guys. that was a nice simple lesson in pump dynamics, I'll remember when setting up a tank again.

Shane Tesser
09-25-02, 08:04 PM
lol rev, sometimes the mechanic in me cant die!

fishguy
10-12-02, 09:20 PM
use air pumps made by tommy.They are cheap and make no noise.Most big stores will not carry it because there is not much profit to make on it.But they are great.

cnc aquarium
416-781-9835
We sell both fresh and saltwater fish