PDA

View Full Version : flexi watt heat tape position

Nikki Gervais
09-23-02, 09:00 PM
Hey all,
I was wondering which way it is recommended I use the flexi watt heat tape? On the back of the rack or on the floor? I was going to build stackable glass/wood cages but hydro is simpley killin me! I pay more for hydro then I do for rent... So it's time to build some rack systems. I didn't really like the idea before but now I can see why they are so popular. :rolleyes: :p I'm going to be ordering the tape from big apple herpetological in like two weeks but I haven't decided whether to use 11 or 3 inch tape yet. :) If anyone is interested in ordering some along with me, email me or instant message me @ i_love_reptiles@hotmail.com and we'll talk. :)

Jeff_Favelle
09-23-02, 10:14 PM
Don't bother with 3 inch heat tape. It uses 10 watts/foot while the 4 inch only uses 8 watts!! No point in the 3 inch stuff!!

Tim_Cranwill
09-23-02, 11:08 PM
Good to know Jeff, I was going to get some for my smaller boxes.

Nikki Gervais
09-24-02, 12:27 AM
hmm but big apple herp only carries the 3 and the 11 inch types :confused:

Matt_K
09-24-02, 01:22 AM
Bean Farm has the 4" for only $0.25 more then the 3".. That's where i am going to be ordering mine from within the next couple days..

Big Mike
09-24-02, 10:56 AM
I have never built a rack but it would make sense to put the heat tape along the shelves under each level of enclosures...if you just put it along the back the ones higher up will be much warmer than the ones on the bottom...don't you think?

Nikki Gervais
09-24-02, 01:51 PM
I have seen it done both ways but I am going to go with placing it on the bottom of the rack that way I know they will get the proper ammount of heat. But, do you have to have an area for air to get to it like a vent or something? I know with heat pads if no air can get to them then they will over heat. I learned the hard way. :( :o :eek:

Bryan Self
09-26-02, 07:25 PM
No just make sure you use a thermostat on your tape. If it is like most racks there is plenty of air movement that it works fine.
Reason for the thermost at link.ARB (http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexburn.html)
Good luck

Syst3m
09-26-02, 07:45 PM
Just makes sure you use a rheostat, Flex-watt can operate at 180f sealed and insulated. So it needs to be monitored, I keep an eye on my temps for a couple days to get it right before I put it into operation.

Tim_Cranwill
09-26-02, 07:50 PM
Does any one use dimmer switches to control their Flexwatt temps? Can you get a steady temp using one?

Nikki Gervais
09-26-02, 11:41 PM
Thanks everyone, Cranwill I have heard of dimmer switches being used successfully with the heat tape, if you searched online you might find some info. :) Good luck

Syst3m
09-27-02, 04:31 AM
Hey Cranwill I use Dimmers or Rheostats what ever you want to call them. If you want Exact temperatures you need to buy a proportional thermostat. Those will control the watts put out by the devices to acheive a proper temp. Normal thermostats will not. they will heat up and shut off when the right temp is reached. with a rheostat or "dimmer" You can acheive a decent temp range. of course the temperatures in your room changing will dictate how hot the cage actually gets. (of course)

I wire up the 5 dollar 600w home depot dimmers all of the time. I've got about 3/4 running right now. What I do is just prep my setup. Put the hides the sphagnum and everything else I want in there and put it where its going to go too. Other cages give off heat too so if its a rack I make sure I run the whole thing like its going to be ran with my reptiles. At that point I run it for a day, sometimes even a week to make sure the temps are fairly stable.

I've been able to keep my temps VERY stable in my room wich is fairly temperature regulated. Proportional thermostats are the best and the most expensive way to go, But Rheostats/Dimmers can be used and will work just fine. Remember those damn things can get 180+ be safe dont run them without a dimmer/rheostat bare minumum.