PDA

View Full Version : whitch is easier

snakeman92
09-23-02, 08:18 PM
whitch is easyier to breed rats or mice

rattekonigin
09-23-02, 08:21 PM
Rats! Rats don't stink like mice do, mice reek to high heaven.

casacrow
09-23-02, 08:21 PM
I personally would say rats. I find the mothers eat the young less. Less odour as well

Lisa
09-24-02, 06:45 PM
the better question is what do your snakes need?

snakeman92
09-25-02, 02:48 PM
well i am getting a ball python will they eat rat after awhile

Jaylyn
09-25-02, 03:48 PM
Where are you located? No rats allowed in Alberta - not even neutered ones. Never mind that alot of the major grocery stores in the cities have them ...

Jaylyn

Linds
09-25-02, 04:16 PM
Jaylyn,
Really? That's nuts. Everytime I hear of any Alberta bylaws I thank my lucky stars that I don't live there...

Snakeman92,
Ball pythons can start feeding on rats from the moment the hatch. Most people do feed their adult balls rats as well. It can become quite uneconomical to keep feeding an animal mice when it is capable of feeding on medium or large rats...

snakeman92
09-25-02, 08:53 PM
so i should switch to rats
easyer to breed and ball pythons eat them

Jaylyn
09-25-02, 09:27 PM
Alberta is "officially" a rat-free province ... but in reality we aren't - you wouldn't believe the amounts of rat poison they use in grocery stores in larger centres - I won't let my kids touch anything - I much prefer my little "hick" town!

A friend of mine is a high school biology teacher - she keeps alot of different animals in the lab (snakes, rabbits, lizards, etc...) - she tried to get a neutered lab rat, but wasn't allowed. Go figure.

Jaylyn

Bryan Self
09-28-02, 02:15 PM
Rats w/o a doubt. It can also save you some problems down the line. One of the times that balls, can and sometimes will, go off feed is when you change them from mice to rats.
Good Luck

Lisa
10-04-02, 10:46 PM
our year old ball python is eating small rats (3rd smallest) you don't wanna feed a BP mice cause you'll end up with a pin head snake that needs alot of mice.

if you're considering breeding to save $, my opinion is buying from a rat breeder is cheaper and you also don't have to kill the rats as you can get them frozen.

you can get small rats for $1.60 give or take. and they are far safer for the snake (dead rats don't bite as hard, and parasites such as worms are killed from freezing)

Fornever
10-07-02, 04:17 PM
Alberta is the only Rat Free Province. We started the battle since 1950, the reason you see rat poision in the major cities. Is because it would be to expensive to check every truck load that comes from out of province for rats(there are mice in alberta too). Even hick towns have mice in grocery stores.
Here's a link http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/agdex/600/682-1.html it will teach you how destructive norway rats are. And how we've saved millions of dollars by making sure they don't get here.

Jason