PDA

View Full Version : AGGHHH!!! This really scared me.

Seanebones
09-21-02, 09:44 PM
While feeding our female Boa today (For the first time) she struck at the rabbitt (fresh killed) and missed, biting herself. I thought she would release but coiled anyway. Needless to say my heart stopped. I was sure I would see blood any minute and a trip to the emergency vet was minutes away. I held my breath as she waited a good five minutes to uncoil. To my great releif there was only a pink spot on her belly, and no visible damage on her skin. This has never happened to me before and I hope it never does again, I don't think I could take it. Wheew, just need to vent a little there, I'm all better now.:eek:

Seanebones
09-21-02, 09:47 PM
Should I change her name to Blondie or what??

Tim_Cranwill
09-21-02, 10:13 PM
I had 5 garters in a 40 gallon tank. I had always fed them seperatly, but I was trying out this new "home-made" garter food, which is just blended up trout, some vitamin powder and some gelatin, so I thought I'd just drop a little cube in, just to see if anyone was interested....

They went CRAZY!!! One of the females would bite anything that had this stuff on it, or move in the vicinity of the smell, and it had a STRONG smell. I was lucky that only 2/5 snakes were into this stuff. As a gut reaction I thought I should put more in seperate corners so that there aren't any accidents. But the snakes felt threatened so they would bite on and then take off, dragging this fish/slime all over the tank!

Eventually I took out the 3/5 that weren't eating and just being bitten and put them in a tub with some water to wash off. Then I had to grab the other two by the tail and avoid being bitten to get them in the tub. Man, I felt dumb.

I've never seen such an insane feeding response in my life. They were biting each other, them selves, rocks, branches, the floor, the glass, you name it. Luckly no one was hurt too bad over such stupid mistake.

So, yes, I can relate. My heart had a good 5 - 10 minute work out that night.....

Quervo
09-22-02, 01:23 AM
LMAO Cranwill .. that's hilarious.

I fed my ball a f/t rat a while back and he viciously attacked and coiled ..... the foot !!

He constricted that foot until it was thoroughly dead and then proceded to try and eat the rat ... foot first. Needless to say, that didn't work too well. He did figure it out eventually.
:rolleyes:

Seanebones
09-22-02, 06:50 PM
Here they are together: Maggie, and Goliath

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Seanebones&album_id=95508&image_id=82&param=46133