PDA

View Full Version : Mites

Shaghan
04-24-04, 06:35 PM
Hi

I think my Boa has mites! He has been soaking for 2 days straight and now we just took him out and there are a whole bunch of black 'poppy seeds' in the water. I have been told to use Nix and I will do so but I was wondering if anyone else had another suggestion.

Thanks for your help!

BoidKeeper
04-24-04, 06:47 PM
Noithing works better IMO.
Cheers,
Trevor

Linds
04-26-04, 08:48 PM
Black Knight works well. I actually prefer it to Nix in most situations. If you choose to use it...

1- Take your snake and let him soak in a tub of tepid water with a few drops of Ivory dishsoap. Rinse snake in clear water before puttin him back.
2- Thorougly scub down the enclosure with dishsoap and hot water, and procede to disinfect with whatever your preferred method is.
3- Spray down enclosure and quicly close/cover to seal in the aerosol spray so and let it sit for half hour so it gets in to all the cracks and crevices. Replace contents (keep it simple with paper substrate and a water bowl, if needed a plastic hide or two as well). Some people spray BK all over the substrate and accessories (the accessories should've been cleaned and will be free of mites and eggs anyways), but I find it works well this way and you don't have to get it all over everything, after all mite treatments are poison. Let the enclosure completely air out before putting the snake inside so there is no BK in the air.
4- Repeat once a week for one month.

HetForHuman
04-26-04, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately you may not be able to get blackknight for awhile now as they had someone file a lawsuit against them...

If you want you can read more about it here...

http://www.bobclark.com/bcforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20977&FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Regarding+Black+Knight&Forum_Title=Bob+Clark+Main