PDA

View Full Version : size

snakeman92
09-18-02, 06:55 PM
what kind of monitor would be ok in a 75 gal tank all of its life

KaHane
09-18-02, 07:34 PM
All the dwarfs species and black and green tree monitors.

NiagaraReptiles
09-19-02, 07:53 AM
I would say <u>most</u> of the <i>Odatria</i> subgenus rather than "<u>all</u>", would be suited to live in a 75 gallon tank.

Also bear in mind that although that size tank may be suitable for an adult (of most dwarf species), they will make <b>good</b> use of any amount of pace you could give them and multiple animals would require a larger enclosure for sure - with the exception of <i>V. storri</i>, <i>V. gilleni</i>, <i>V. caudolineatus</i>, and possibly a pair of <i>V. acanthurus brachyurus</i>.

There are a few other dwarf species that are small enough that multiple animals could be housed in a tank that size but I did not mention them as they are not as available as the few species I mentioned.

Personally, I would not suggest keeping any "tree" monitor in a tank that is only 18" tall without substrate.

To give you a more specific suggestion, I would say a Yellow Ackie would fit the bill for you. They remain quite handleable, are very "friendly" and truly a joy to keep.

Best wishes,

KaHane
09-19-02, 12:07 PM
I must agree with Jon. You must keep the " tree" species in a taller arboreal cages. Something like a 75-175 tall.

hydrosaurus
09-20-02, 09:20 AM
eh...... tree spieces dont do very good in tanks.... youre waaaaay better off creating a custom enclosure that will hold good humidity (depending on spiecies).
i never have any of my tree monitors in anything less then a 3wx3lx6h

6 feet high is my minimum when dealing with trees.