PDA

View Full Version : first one

snakeman92
09-18-02, 05:43 PM
i was wondering what would be a good first time monitor and where would be a good care sheet on one

Linds
09-18-02, 06:25 PM
Ackies are a great starter monitor and don't attain a large size either (~24"). Easy to care for and you do not need to worry about them attaining great sizes and having to feed and house an animal that size. They have great temperaments as well.

If you are sure you are prepared to house, feed, and handle a *large* monitor, then I would suggest going with a Blackthroat or Whitethroat monitor. Both of these are relatively simple to care for but can get as large as 5-6 feet.

As for caresheets, <a href="http://www.google.com">Google</a> is a great tool ;)

Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup:

snakeman92
09-18-02, 06:31 PM
what is the full name of the Ackies

is it the spiney tailed lizard

Linds
09-18-02, 06:59 PM
Ackies (Varanus acanthurus aka Acanthurus Monitor) are also known as Spiny tailed monitors (different thing than spiny tailed lizard however) and Ridge-tailed monitors.

KaHane
09-18-02, 07:24 PM
I definitely recommend Ackies or any of the smaller species. Although my first was a hatchling water monitor. I would also recommend waters if purchased at a young age and if you have the space and time to care for them.

NiagaraReptiles
09-19-02, 08:00 AM
Yes, Ackies are a great first monitor. Thier small size and ease of care along with great dispositions make them very enjoyable to work with.

There are 2 subspecies of Ackies currently available in North America;
<i>Varanus acanthurus acanthurus</i> -- aka; Red Ackie
and
<i>Varanus acanthurus brachyurus</i> -- aka; Yellow Ackie

Both make fantasic captives and maintain a manageable size (Reds - around 24", Yellows - around 20") unlike many other commonly seen monitors in the pet trade.

hydrosaurus
09-20-02, 09:25 AM
simple
if you have the money to purchase an ackie thats easy, but not everyone can shell out 400 dollars for their first monitor.

I personally started with a savannah baby.. just make sure you find one that appears very alert and healthy, as these are so mass imported there is quite a high risk of parasites, however they usually always do well in captivity espeacially kept under the right conditions.

i recommend savs only because alot of people will still take larger healthy ones from you if you change your mind, and their cage sizing requirements are not that severe you can start small with a hatchling but will need to upgrade quite rapidly, as they grow fast. their temper is really nice most of the time.

Dom
09-20-02, 09:49 AM
I agree with Hydrosaurus .. Savanahs do make excelent varanids .. although I think a misconception that ppl have is there size .. These are large monitors. If properly house they will thrive in captivity and reach there maximum lenght of 4 + feet if not 4 and a half to 5!

I am now up to 3 Sav. with my largest attainingt 3 feet 1 inch and he is a bit under 2 years old. I am upgrading there cage again. They will now be house in a 4deep x 2 high x 6wide .. and in my oppinion that is not even close to enough for such large monitors. In the wild these monitors have have square km of teritory...

As I said, Savanahs do make great pets but unforteunetly, tend to be housed like if they are small or dwarf monitors and tend to be obease and small monitors because of this. I would defenetly recomend them but tell yourself that there housing needs are much greater then the dwarfs .. cage size that is.

And if ever u do decide on a sav. PLZ don't buy a wc one . The wild caught trade of the savanah is discusting, especially for the fact that they are readilly available as cb.

Just my 2 cents!

Ps. Dwarfs are amazing first pet too but not for me! There simply way way too small!

tex_01
10-17-02, 12:38 AM
ackies are a good starter but savanahs are also a good starter.My personal opinon would for you to get a yellow or red ackie.

Aaron