PDA

View Full Version : Sadness in Utah...:(

KolleenJ
09-18-02, 02:42 AM
My Lucy died late Monday afternoon.
Sheesh...I dont ever think I cried so hard in my life. She regurged about two weeks ago when I moved her into a new cage. I did blood work and everything was normal.???
Im sure she died of aspiration pnemonia though. After she regurged, I soaked her while I cleaned up the mess and she aspirated a bunch of water. She sounded horrible. We put her on Lasix and a few other things and thought she was all clear. She sounded great, no mucus, no bubbles nothing.Lungs sounded clear...ect... I attaked it quick. Well, as much as I thought she was OK, I went into the snake room yesterday to take her picture, and she was resting peacefully. She didnt go belly up, she didnt look too distressed, so I am in hopes she passed in peace. Gawd, I am in tears writing this.

She was a rescue with a rough past.I took her in from a man who kept her in a 5x2 cage and I had to treat her for some terrible burn wounds.

I played with her(as much as you can a 170lb snake) at least 3 times a week, so she could get her excersise and she had the best personality. Whenever Id go near her, she would try her hardest to climb up on my shoulders and run me over. She was sooo sweet, never one bit of aggression, and she seemed to love attention.

This is my first snake death(not including a few sick hatchlings) and Im having a rough time taking it well. I spent an hour digging a hole in my rose garden to lay her body to rest in. I made her a brick tomb about 6 ft under and am gonna go to the mountains to find a special rock for a headstone today.

I feel so aweful, kindof like I am worthless in a way, but I also know I should not kick my self over it.

I am a vet tech and deal with death daily, not to mention being a snake owner, and its so amazing how hard it is when its your own pet.
I have never heard of a snake aspirating, so this was an extra shock to me.

Well, Id like to say thanks for letting me vent, and would like to share a pic of her.
:(

For those who dont know her, she is my adult 170lb female Burm I rescued quite some time ago. She was my baby.

creander
09-18-02, 03:06 AM
Sorry to hear that.Hope yoy get over it soon

it was the best you can do

TonyL
09-18-02, 06:07 AM
That is certainly bad news Kolleen!

We all share in your loss. But I am sure Lucy died knowing she was loved!

jason h
09-18-02, 06:39 AM
i'm so sorry kolleen,my heart goes out to you:(

Seanebones
09-18-02, 07:48 AM
Kolleen,
I know that not many people love snakes they way that you do. I am quite sure that somewhere there is a heaven for snakes and Lucy is there, and someday, she will try and run you over again.

My deepest sympathies,
Sean

Linds
09-18-02, 07:53 AM
Soooo sorry to hear of your loss. At least she appeared to go peacefully. My thoughts are with you.....................

Dom
09-18-02, 08:00 AM
Kolleen,

You gave that snake an amazing second chance .. I can tell be the way you are writting and all your previous post about Lucy that u cared very much. Beleive me, I know how hard it is, I lost my first snake a little over a year ago and I was devastated .. I cried like a little baby. It really really is hard but you gotta understand that you tried your best .. more than anyone else could of done ..

You trully are one of the best when it comes to keeping snakes, don't let it get to you .. you have a good 100+ other lil' snakies to think about!

My deepest sympathies go out to you,

reverendsterlin
09-18-02, 08:53 AM
My sympathies Kolleen. Rescues are usually great animals, I own several myself. May your loss be filled soon.

PoiSoNouS
09-18-02, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear that Kolleen, Take care of yourself.. all my thoughts are with you..

Big Mike
09-18-02, 10:52 AM
I'm sure that the latter part of her life with you was better than the first parts without you.

You have done and continue to do a great service to your pets and others...keep it up.

KolleenJ
09-19-02, 01:52 AM
Thanks guys....I burried her in my backyard so I can still visit her.:(

sSNAKESs.com
09-19-02, 04:47 AM
*comfies* im so sorry about your loss Kolleen, i know you were really attached to Lucy...

crochunter
09-19-02, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. our sympathies are with you

KaHane
09-19-02, 11:55 AM
We are sorry to hear about your loss, Our thoughts are with you.

sophia
09-19-02, 01:06 PM
You were a blessing to her as she was to you Kolleen, most likely the happiest times in her life, were due to the love and care you've shown her.

Sorry for your loss, may she return to this world again as a healthy and beloved being.

Tay