PDA

View Full Version : handling after feed and vitamin supplement

TonyL
09-17-02, 07:53 AM
Hello everyone!

A couple of questions that I was hoping you could all help me with:

1) I have read that it is best to not handle your corn for about 48 hours after feed. Is this the same for a python? Is it a general rule of thumb?

2) Leopard geckos (and other lizards) require vitamin and calcium supplement especially when they are young. Do snakes require this? How often and how is that delivered?

Just FYI...I have a corn and an Irian Jaya carpet python.

Thanks all.

Dom
09-17-02, 08:31 AM
Hello!

It is best not to handle ANY snake after feeding simply cause it can cause stress and could lead to regurgitation .. I'd say 48 hours after feeding is a great way to look at it..

Although, I can tell u, I pick up my animals anytime .. I have always been, even if it is 2 minutes after they have eaten and I have never ever had any problems .. but they are very tolerent and non-stressed out animals. I also have been bitten once by one of my snakes after handling him after a feeding .. and this snakes had never even though of bitting me before..

Overall .. If u don't have too handle them after feedings, don't but if u have too, simply be very gentle and always fully support their body.

As for the vitamin supplement, a herbevore requires good vitamin suplement.. an insectivore generally requires also vitamin suplements .. an omnivore requires a bit of vitamin suplements and in my oppinion a Carnivore .. like a snake require NO vitamin suplements at all. A carnivore that eats WHOLE prey items will be able to get everything he needs from such prey items .. therefore, your IJ or your corn does not need any vitamin supplements ..

Just a side note on the carnos, if it was a monitor and u were not feeding them WHOLE prey items .. like beef liver then It might need some vitamin suplements althoguh I don't see any reason as to y you would not feed them whole prey items..

Anyway - enough babling .. I hope this helps you Tony

Scotty Allen
09-17-02, 08:35 AM
Hey, a question I can answer and Dom beats me to it *LOL*. Ditto that Tony, snakes don't need vitamin supplements unless you are using sickly, undernourished rodents. Which you should'nt be using anyway.

TonyL
09-17-02, 08:57 AM
As usual........all you guys give me great answers!

Thanks so much.

Hmmmmm 48 hours....I will try very hard....maybe I will just sit and watch her! LOL

Thanks again!

Dom
09-17-02, 09:40 AM
np!

Sorry Scotty! I simply have nothing better to do with my time but wait for new post to come up! lol jk Its my day off ..